These Are a Few of My Favorite Things: Spring Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

As the end of winter is just a month away, it’s time to start prepping and planning for all things spring! I’ve never had a “favorite” season, but there are so many fun and exciting things about spring that make me slightly biased. So, I figured I would share with you all some of my favorite things about spring that you might come to enjoy as well!

Hiking

Mid-spring is the best time to enjoy nature and get in plenty of hikes because it’s not too cold and not too hot. The leaves on trees and bushes are growing back, plenty of flowers are starting to bloom again, and the animals start to come back out and enjoy their home. For those in Louisville that love a good hike, I definitely recommend Bernheim Forest, about 15-20 minutes south of Louisville. Bernheim also has plenty of trails with varying distances. So, if you want a 15-minute hike or a 6–7-hour hike, Bernheim’s got you covered!

Plants

It’s that time of year where stores are getting new shipments of plants AND you finally get to repot your ever-growing plants at home. If you’ve read my previous articles, I’ve probably mentioned my plants a couple of times, so you know this is what I live for. There is nothing more exciting than getting a whole bunch of new plants (that you definitely don’t have the space for) and finally getting to repot the plants that you haven’t been able to touch all winter.

Going to the Zoo

As the weather gets warmer, so do the lovely animals at the zoo who can’t wait to come back outside. Especially on a day where you just feel down in the dumps, going to the zoo and getting to explore and worship these beautiful creatures can bring someone so much joy. I would definitely recommend setting aside a few weekends this spring to enjoy some trips to the zoo. Maybe even go to other zoos that you haven’t been to before!

Spring Cleaning

I know a lot of people already do this, but it feels so good. Even if it’s just a big cleaning day, it can be really relaxing and mentally rejuvenating. I would even suggest a wardrobe cleaning too and donating whatever clothes you no longer wear or like. Which means it’s the perfect time to update your wardrobe too!

Rain

April showers not only bring May flowers, but they also bring me good doses of serotonin. Something I love to do when I have free time is grab a meal from your favorite restaurant, find a parking spot in a park, and sit and enjoy the rain. This can be done with or without music, but just listening to the rain is so peaceful and is a great way to meditate and think up new goals for yourself!

Chloe Sharpe

Louisville '21

I’m a Senior Psychology Major at UofL with the goal of going to grad school for Industrial/Organizational Psych! I’m usually stuck in the library but if I’m not there you could probably find me at Twisted Taco on campus.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!