Wellness

Spending Valentine’s Alone? Then this is for YOU!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Valentine’s for a lot of people can be very gruesome. Not having a significant other can really crush the set tone. Here are some ways to get through the holiday and still have fun!

1. Bake cookies

Cookies are a classic holiday tradition! Valentine’s Day certainly is not exemption. Whether you buy a box of the iced sugar cookies at Walmart, or even make a nice homemade batch, cookies can bring comfort and happiness. Here’s a great recipe for Peppermint cookies, thanks to Pillsbury!

Ingredients:

1 roll (16.5 oz) of Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookies

2 tablespoons of unsweetened baking cocoa

1 container (1 lb) chocolate creamy ready-to-spread frosting

⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract

8 round hard peppermint candies, crushed

2 ½-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter

Instructions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, break up the cookie dough. Beat in cocoa with a mixer until well blended.

2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of dough at a time to ⅛-inch thickness. With 2 ½-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out heart shapes. On ungreased cookie sheets, place shapes ½ inch apart.

3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Let cool about 5 minutes.

4. In a small bowl, mix frosting and peppermint extract until well blended. Spread about 2 teaspoons of frosting on each cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with about ¼ teaspoon of crushed candy.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/peppermint-cookie-hearts/8c1e27d1-f2d5-4da6-af56-fd7c5ba2d535 

2. Call up friends and family and tell them you love them

If we have learned anything from the year 2020, it is that even if we feel as if we’re alone, we don’t have to be. Thanks to the world of technology, we have the ability to FaceTime, call, or even just text our loved ones at any given moment. Take advantage of the world at your fingertips, and call up your loved ones to let them know how grateful you are to have them in your life!

3. “The Charlie Brown Valentine’s Special”

I don’t know about you guys, but the holidays just aren’t the holidays unless I watch the Charlie Brown special that goes with said holiday. Valentine’s is no different. Watch Charlie Brown work up the courage to talk to the “little redhead girl,” as well as Sally trying to get her “sweet baboo” to have the same feelings as she does for him.

4. Valentine’s photoshoot

The self-timer feature on your camera is a BLESSING. It’s a great way to have an at home photoshoot. Put on a cute outfit, Valentine’s themed or not. Your choice! 

For a cute, yet inexpensive background, I recommend hanging up Valentine’s themed wrapping paper. Then, using whatever you have (this could be a stack of books, a table, a stool, whatever works best) and set up your phone. Use the self timer to take those bomb pics!

5. Movie night:

Movies are a great way to pass the time, especially if you’ve finished your assigned work for the week. Here’s some of my favorite movies to watch on February 14th! 

• To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before

• 50 First Dates

• Tangled 

• A Walk To Remember

• The New Romantic

• Alex Strangelove

• The Incredible Jessica James

• Remember Me

• My Girl 

• Corpse Bride

Veneda Burgess

Louisville '23

Go cards!! Class of 2023
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!