This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Picture this: it is New Year’s Eve of 2019 and you tell yourself how awesome next year will be and how it is only up from there, as you tell yourself every year. I think it is safe to say that 2020 has not met these expectations for most of us. Plans had to change, and that is okay! We have experienced our fair share of disappointment and uncertainty throughout this year, and it seems as if it is never ending at this point. School, the one thing that has been constant our entire lives, is delivered in a way that does not even feel like learning anymore. Almost every aspect of our lives has changed over the course of eight months, and we must deal with the uncertainty of how long this will last. If your intentions for this year have drastically changed, that is completely normal. It would be extremely difficult to keep your plans even remotely the same and here are the reasons why you should stop setting your expectations too high and planning everything this year!  

1) You might be disappointed. This has been an unprecedented year, and no one knows what will happen in the future. If you stress about your plans and try to make them perfect, it could lead to you being disappointed if the outcome is not exactly as you had hoped it would be.  

2) Live in the moment. If you are constantly worried about everything following the exact way you want it to go, you might miss out on other things. If you are anything like me, my life seems like it can change from one day to the next this year, so it makes it impossible for me to plan. Take things day by day and as they come, rather than trying to predict how your life may go.  

3) Learn to accept change. No matter what age you are, life can change in an instant and it is important to be able to deal with this change. Learning to adapt will allow you to face the unpredictability of life with less stress.  

Fallon McAllister

Louisville '23

I am currently majoring in Marketing and Management at the University of Louisville where I am a member of the 2019 pledge class for Chi Omega! My hobbies include playing soccer, making earrings, and drinking coffee!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!