cdc n3mn7IgtwS4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
cdc n3mn7IgtwS4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Stay Sane During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Forget about the holiday season, finals season is what really important. If you’re a college student, finals week is probably the most stressful time of the year. Sleep deprivation and high levels of stress can get to anyone, so I’m going to give you several ways to stay sane even during the worst of finals. 

1. Take Breaks

One of the easiest ways to stay sane while trying to cram in a semester’s worth of information in two days is to take frequent breaks. Studying for long hours at a time can get frustrating and can become stressful very quickly, so every hour make sure to take at least a short 10 minute break. This break can be used to do anything, but make sure you don’t get too off track. These breaks can help you refocus on what you are working on and can help destress a study sesh. 

2. Get a Good Night’s Sleep

Often college students think it’s a good idea to spend all night studying. It might just help you even more to get a full night’s rest. Studying during the day and going to sleep at a reasonable hour can help refresh your mind, and will help you be diligent for your exams. Going without sleep for long periods of time can result in sleep deprivation which can cause grades to fall. There have been several studies done on the causations between good grades and more hours of sleep.

3. Relax

Every night during finals week, try and take some time to do a relaxing activity. This can be many things, whether you want to take a calming bath, try meditation, or practice yoga. You should always set aside at least an hour of the day to put away the books and take some time to do a more relaxing activity. Breathing exercises can also be an important part of relaxing. When you feel yourself becoming extremely stressed, take a minute to take some deep breaths or find some breathing exercises online to feel better. Mental health is a very important part of life, so make sure you take care of your mind during this upcoming finals week.

4. Exercise

Physical health is also very important to maintain.  While exercise can seem like a hassle, and not something to waste your time with during finals week, it can actually help a lot. High intensity exercise helps release hormones that can have a very positive effect of the brain. This can help put you in a good mood, which will in turn help you feel less stressed. It can also be used as a way to relax before an exam or even just as a break from studying. Even just exercising for 30 minutes a day can greatly improve a person’s mood and help them stay sane during this difficult time of the year. 

References to:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/excessive-sleepiness/performance/improve-your-childs-school-performance-good-nights-sleep

https://www.verywellmind.com/exercise-and-improving-your-mood-2223781

Maddie Nuxoll

Louisville '20

UofL History Major. Helping you get through school one HerCampus article at a time.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!