self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Keep Your Head Level During Social Isolation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

In the midst of the chaos the world is experiencing today, it may seem impossible to maintain a routine, let alone prioritize your mental health. The first few days spent in social isolation was really mentally challenging for me. With that being said, however, I’ve tried several activities to try to keep my head, heart, and body in a healthy balance. If you feel like you’re on the verge of a mental breakdown, try some of the following!

1. Yoga

Even if it’s just stretching in the morning, I’ve started to incorporate yoga into my daily routine. It strengthens the connection between your mind and your body. I spend about 30-45 minutes doing yoga in the mornings or afternoons to clear my head and relax the tension in my shoulders and back. 

2. Exercise

Don’t immediately turn this one down, because trust me, I also love my bed. When I say exercise, I don’t mean you have to do insane cardio for an hour in your bedroom. Try searching “blogilates” on TikTok (if you’re a big TikTok fan)… she has some kick-ass workouts that don’t require a lot of time or space! They’re easier to incorporate into a daily routine to get your blood flowing and your heart pumping! 

3. Spend some time outdoors

Even though we are in social isolation, you are still allowed to enjoy nature, whether that is partaking in a nice walk outside, going for a run, hiking a small trail, etc. As long as you maintain your distance from others and avoid public areas, you’re good to go! 

4. Explore your creative side

I’ve found that painting really relaxes me, and having projects to work on occupies my brain. Drawing, journaling, scrapbooking, painting… anything you can think of, explore it! You might find a new appreciation for the artistic side of yourself. 

5. Reorganize your room

I love rearranging my bedroom. It always brings me a newfound sense of energy and excitement. I feel more motivated to get things done when I’m working in a clean space, too. 

6. Try some new recipes

Spicing up your cooking life is always important! Even if you’re stress-baking cookies at 3 am, you’re exploring your culinary skills! Chrissy Teigen has some incredible recipes for pretty much every type of dish you could imagine. I would definitely recommend checking her out! 

Use this time to explore passions of yours that you’ve put on the backburner, or try new activities that excite you! Remember that we are all in this together… regardless of how socially isolated you might be. 

Ava Paszkiewicz

Louisville '23

xx.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!