Wellness > Health

How to Eat Healthy While Living in a Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Living in a dorm and balancing a healthy diet can be a struggle. But no worries, these tips are here to help!

Tip #1: Keep only healthy snacks in your room. If you keep the junk food and candy out of your room, then there is no possible way for you to eat it.  

Tip #2: Buy frozen fruits and vegetables. The majority of college students are on a tight budget and fresh fruits and veggies are more expensive than frozen ones!

Tip #3: Make smart choices in the dining hall. Instead of eating a bunch of pizza, go to the salad bar and stock your plate up with fruits and veggies. Also, avoid just staying in the dining hall for no reason. When you do this, you are more likely to continue to eat the entire time you are there.

Tip #4: Drink water instead of soft drinks. It can be easy to fall into the habit of continuously refilling your soda cup, but instead stick to just water. Another healthy alternative is kombucha!

Tip #5: Avoid late night snacking. Cut yourself off after a certain time so you avoid eating unnecessary calories right before bed.

Happy eating and dorm living!

Fallon McAllister

Louisville '23

I am currently majoring in Marketing and Management at the University of Louisville where I am a member of the 2019 pledge class for Chi Omega! My hobbies include playing soccer, making earrings, and drinking coffee!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!