This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Like many of you, I’ve struggled with both my health and weight throughout college. My freshman year, I ate Chick-Fil-A almost daily and made good use of my meal swipes. I gained every bit of the freshman fifteen and then some but worse than that was the impact on my health. I did not feel well physically and had a slew of stomach issues that began during my freshman year.

It is now my sophomore year of college, and I have a much healthier relationship with food, dropped the weight I gained, and I feel better both mentally and physically. I made the decision to prioritize my health at the beginning of the year, but I was skeptical of how I’d be able to manage a healthier diet while on a college campus.

Though it hasn’t been easy, I’ve been able to make healthy options even eating on campus. I’m eating better than I ever have before. I decided to adopt veganism due to the personal goals I set for myself and because it’s been the best decision for my health. Whether you adhere to a diet like veganism, vegetarianism, or you just want to make healthier choices, it is all possible to do while at college!

Below, I’ve listed my go-to vegan orders and healthier on-campus options at the University of Louisville:

Olilo

I was skeptical about Olilo, and I didn’t even try it my freshman year because I had no idea what most of the options were. Now it’s become one of my favorite options on campus. With greens, grains, lean protein, and vegetables, Olilo is probably one of the healthiest places you can eat on campus. Greens and grains combos with your choice of protein and vegetables are also offered as meal swipes. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try this place; you won’t regret it.

My Go-to Vegan Order: Greens + Grains bowl with a falafel, romesco, edamame avocado hummus, tomato cucumber salad, pita chips, chickpeas, and lemon and garlic dressing.

McAllister’s

I frequent McAllister’s only second to Olilo. There is a wide variety of soups, sandwiches, and salads that make McAllister’s an easy place to grab a healthy lunch.

My Go-to Vegan Order: Garden salad (minus the cheese) with balsamic vinaigrette and a cup of veggie chili.

Non-Vegan Favorite: Grilled Chicken Caesar wrap and chili

Twisted Taco

For me, Mexican food is one of the easiest types of food to eat while adhering to veganism. Twisted Taco isn’t typically busy either, which makes it easy to grab a quick meal.

My Go-to Vegan Order: Burrito bowl with black beans, pico de gallo, lettuce, jalapenos, tomatoes, and guacamole.

Non-Vegan Favorite: Tombstone Chicken tacos or The Hills Beef tacos with your choice of toppings.

Subway

You can customize a sandwich or wrap any way at Subway to meet your dietary needs and health goals. Minus the chips, Subway offers a fairly healthy menu that has a wide variety of options.

My Go-To Vegan Order: Vegetarian Sub on Wheat with spinach, tomato, onion, green peppers, and Subway Vinaigrette.

Non-Vegan Favorite: Chipotle chicken on Italian herbs and cheese with spinach and green peppers.

Starbucks

Starbucks may not have the healthiest drinks, but as college students, sometimes a coffee is necessary. Don’t let your dietary restrictions or health goals deter you from an afternoon pick-me-up or an occasional treat.

My Go-To Vegan Order: Iced vanilla latte with almond milk and an extra pump of vanilla.

This list is not exhaustive, but it offers healthy options on campus and some of my favorite orders. It’s possible to be a college student and prioritize your health. Don’t be afraid to try something new or work toward your dietary goals!

Avery Knochel

Louisville '22

I am an English major with minors in Communications and Creative Writing. I am an active member of Delta Zeta sorority where I am the Alumnae Relations chair. I love to read and write in any capacity!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!