pink nude painting
pink nude painting
Jaelynn Hart
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Nobody wants to talk about it, but somebody definitely needs! Yes, I am talking about the physical appearance of a female vagina, or vulva, to be more accurate. Whether we would like to admit it or not, many women have probably wondered to themselves, “is mine normal?”. Sadly, many women have probably even experienced some insecurity and worry about their physical appearance. I am here to answer the question of what a normal vulva is and dispel myths that people may have about the answer to that question. 

First, let’s start with a brief anatomy lesson. People commonly refer to female genitalia collectively as the vagina, when really that is incorrect. The vagina is specifically the muscular canal that connects a woman’s uterus to the outside of her body. The external genitalia are correctly and collectively called the vulva. The main components of the vulva to know are the mons pubis, the outer (major) labia, the inner (minor) labia, and the clitoris. The mons pubis is just the fatty tissue over the pubic bone. The labia majora are the outermost tissue folds of the vulva. The labia minora lie inside the labia majora. The main function of both is to act as a protective barrier for the vagina and other reproductive organs from infection. The clitoris is located at the top and in between the labia minora. The clitoris is an extremely sensitive part of the female body due to the concentration of nerve endings in one localized place. 

Now that we know the structures, let’s talk about misconceptions. Basically, just like with women’s stomachs, breasts, and butts, some crazy people assume that all vulva’s should magically look the same too! Let me ask, do we expect all women to have the same height, hair color, eye color, etc.? No! There is not a “normal” vulva appearance. They are all unique, just like the rest of our bodies. The only abnormal cause for concern would be if you are experiencing pain or discomfort. In that case, you should absolutely see a gynecologist who can help. Aside from that, variations in size, color, shape, and even smell are all completely normal! For example, many women feel that they are abnormal if they have visible inner labia. This is actually completely incorrect. A study conducted at Kolding Medical Center actually found that 56% of women being studied had visible labia minora. So, it is equally as common for the inner labia to be visible as hidden! Women also may wonder if it is irregular for their labia to be unsymmetrical. Again, this is completely normal. Humans love symmetry, but perfect symmetry is quite bizarre in nature. Our bodies are roughly symmetrical, but most of us really have a leg/arm that is longer, a larger breast, or even an eyebrow that is higher than the other. Our eyes might not be as pleased with non-symmetrical things, but they are absolutely normal. Now, moving on to color. The vulva or area around it is frequently a different color than a woman’s skin. If yours is flesh-colored, pinkish, purplish, brownish, reddish, you guessed it–it’s normal! Lastly, smell is also unique to every woman. When you are wondering why it does not smell like flowers, keep in mind that you have many sweat glands around the vulva and constant discharge being produced in the vagina, both of which are keeping you healthy! You should be familiar with the typical smell of your own vaginal area. If you notice a fishy smell or abnormal discharge, you should visit the gynecologist. 

The take-away: your vulva/vagina/lady bits are almost certainly normal. If someone other than a doctor has ever told you otherwise, they probably need to read a book (and maybe learn how to be a nice human). Being comfortable with your body -all of it- is so important for your mental health and your sexuality. If you have an issue with your appearance, talk to a close friend or physician about it and look up other articles (many contain real photos!). I am sure they will all reiterate the message of this article, that you are uniquely normal. 

An incredible passion of mine is women’s health. It makes me incredibly sad to think about all of the misinformation available and the lack of proper teaching to young women about their bodies. We can all help change this. We can educate ourselves, our friends, our future daughters, and especially the men out there about the female body. It all starts with getting to know and love your own! 

More on the study mentioned: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28369012

I am a pre-med biology major with a huge passion for women's health. I love my fellow ladies and love celebrating all of the incredible things that our minds and bodies can do. I love to dance. I also love desserts, doggies, and politics!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!