This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

This time is extremely difficult for many people all over the world. Some are stuck alone by themselves, others are working hard in the medical field, and there are even those who haven’t seen their families in nearly a year. With everything going on, it’s important to take care of your mental health. One way to do that is by going outside!

woman opening window curtain in shining daylight
Photo by josue Verdejo from Pexels
I’m not saying to go expose yourself to COVID-19 or put yourself in unsafe situations. I’m saying go outside in a completely socially safe way. 

If you’re worried about being out in the world, bring a mask, stay six feet apart, and make sure you’re washing your hands. Take all of the precautions to stay healthy and safe. 

Besides the countless benefits of being outside. Being surrounded by nature is an amazing way to boost your mental health. According to the Student Conservative Association, they have received many first-hand accounts of the “life-changing mental health powers of nature.”

woman lying on ground with leaves
Photo by Molly Champion from Pexels
Go put your feet in the grass, read a book at the park, or swing in your hammock between the trees. The outdoors are calling and you shouldn’t say no. It’s amazing how much being outside can help us, so we should take advantage of it. 

A few other ways that nature benefits us is by boosting energy, mitigating pain, enhancing creativity, boosting your immune system, and can restore your focus. These are only a few wonders that the outdoors can perform

I know it’s not easy being in a pandemic, stuck alone, or simply dealing with the concept of how much life has changed since COVID-19. Nature isn’t the fix-all solution, but it can serve as a way to benefit your life and well-being. 

Woman smiling in sunflower field
Photo by Eye for Ebony from Unsplash
Disclaimer: If you’re experiencing mental health issues you should see a professional or ask your doctor for help. Nature is no guaranteed solution to mental health issues, it’s simply one way to possibly benefit your well-being. 

For more information visit:

https://www.thesca.org/connect/blog/nature-prescribed-fostering-mental-health-through-outdoors?gclid=CjwKCAiA9vOABhBfEiwATCi7GEg3TrfSNvSJtE4dhtJBuuNl-3E8am-MBDUBB0nnmJxCPtaLfzi-MBoCSxMQAvD_BwE

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/641666/amazon-most-loved-section?utm_content=infinitescroll1

As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!