What’s in a Name: Plant-Based Lifestyles

There has been a growing interest in vegetarianism within the past few years. Many people have been concerned with farming practices and welfare, so they’ve turned to change their lifestyles. However, there’s diversity in plant-based lifestyles. Here are definitions for these different lifestyles. 

Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian

[bf_image id="q7k0b7-b8wjeg-abh4mu"] A person who is an ovo-lacto vegetarian eat fruits and vegetables and dairy and egg products. While they’ll stay away from meats, they may eat eggs or cheese or drink dairy milk. They may also use leather and honey. 

Pescatarian

[bf_image id="q5nh0g-5dqmf4-40ulv9"] A person who is a pescatarian eats fruits, vegetables, and seafood products. They still may eat fish, shrimp, lobsters, crawfish, and crab, while avoiding meats like steak, chicken, and pork. 

Fruitarian

[bf_image id="6ht8r6jxv7k4mzrknrvhvn"] A person who is a fruitarian eats fruits…that’s it. They’ll stay away from meats, eggs, dairy products, and vegetables! 

Vegan

[bf_image id="wgmk7ppnschx6vn2w49cvhc"]

A person who is a vegan will eat fruits and vegetables. They’ll stay away from meats, eggs, dairy products, and anything that has had a face. 

There’s a whole diversity of plant-based lifestyles, each with its own focus. A thought to remember is that to find a lifestyle that is congruent with you. Try it out, and you may just like it!

Caitlin Mercier

Louisiana Tech '22

I am fourth year in the doctoral Counseling Psychology program at Louisiana Tech University. I love reading, writing, and cooking. Fun fact: I am a vegan!