This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Breakfast has always been important for me. It helps me to start my day off in the way that I want it to be. I love being productive throughout my day, and I believe what better way to start my day with breakfast. When I became vegan in graduate school, I made it a point to find a recipe that allowed me to be productive without doing too much. I’ll admit it. I’m lazy. Allow me to introduce to you my productive version of avocado toast. This recipe is easily modifiable. What I love about this recipe is that it is simple and quick to make. You can change it up however you want it. Avocado toast is a nice thing to enjoy in the morning to give yourself that morning boost. 

Louis Hansel/Unsplash
Ingredients 

1 ripe avocado 

1 tablespoon of garlic powder 

1 tablespoon of onion powder 

A handful of cilantro 1

1 thinly sliced Baby Bella mushroom

A pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)

2 slices of whole wheat bread (I love multigrain bread, but use whatever bread you love)

Photo by Bredna Godinez on Foodiesfeed
Directions 

1. Using a large knife, cut your avocado in half. Once you do this, give it a nice twist and remove the pit of the avocado. 

2. Scoop out the meat of the avocado, and place it in a bowl.

3. Season your avocado with garlic, powder, and cilantro. If you want to add a little spiciness to your avocado, feel free to add cayenne pepper or hot sauce (I know I do). 

4. Mash your avocado with a fork or potato masher and set aside. 

5. Now it’s time to toast your bread using your trusty toaster. You can set it at whatever toastiness you want…it’s your bread. 

6. Once you’ve toasted your bread, use a butter knife to smear your avocado mix onto your toast 

7. With your mushroom, give it a good wash and, using a large knife, slice thinly. 

8. Add your mushroom slices onto your toast and sprinkle a little bit of cilantro on there.

9. Enjoy! 

Caitlin Mercier

Louisiana Tech '22

I am fourth year in the doctoral Counseling Psychology program at Louisiana Tech University. I love reading, writing, and cooking. Fun fact: I am a vegan!
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!