This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

In the technology field, oftentimes you find yourself to be the only female in the room. For the first couple of times, it can be very intimidating. Many see being the only woman in the room as a disadvantage. From my personal experience, it is not a disadvantage but instead a great advantage if you know how to use your abilities. Here are a couple of reasons why you should look at being the only woman in the room as an advantage.

1. You are in the room for a reason.

Most people have the fear of “if I speak up, I will be viewed as a bossy, demanding, or unfit for the job.” DO NOT EVER THINK THAT. Imposter syndrome is what makes these feelings occur. You are in the room for a reason. You are talented. You are whatever you define yourself to be. Check out Taylor’s article for a whole article on this topic: https://www.hercampus.com/school/louisiana-tech/you-are-room-reason

2. You bring a fresh perspective.

Diversity is a word we hear often, but what does it mean? It means people of varying backgrounds who bring a unique perspective to the table.  Being the only woman in the room means that you are the only one with a woman’s perspective, which is often needed in designing products. Think about the different elements you bring to the table and celebrate that you are here to help make change in this place.

Laptop with white mug that says the future is female with a lipstick mark
Pexels / CoWomen

3. You are pushed to be your best.

You will probably be discouraged by any and all negative comments. Try not to let these thoughts get to you! Instead, the best thing for you to do is keep on keeping on. Put your best foot forward. While it is not always ideal for you to have to outperform others, for the exact same outcome, it does push you to do your best work. Remember, what you put into your career is what you will get out of it, so strive for the very best you can achieve!

If you ever feel like you are alone, don’t. There are countless organizations out there that can and will give you connections to other women in your field. It is important to have a mentor and grow yourself on a daily basis. Always be the best that you can be- you are the only one who can measure your success and worth!

Alicia Centers

Louisiana Tech '20

I am a junior Cyber Engineering major who just enjoys hanging out with awesome gals outside of school!