Wellness > Health

How the Gym has Changed my Life in Other Ways Than Fitness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

The habit of going to the gym, for the most part, has an expected result of a healthier lifestyle. Most people can only see the physical changes brought on by someone’s dedication to working out, but I have gained so much more!

My goals have shifted from just losing/gaining weight to wanting to be and feel strong mentally, physically, and emotionally. The gym has provided the foundation for that and an outlet to work on it and see it through. 

Through my struggles involving working out, going to the gym has taught me that progress isn’t linear and I was able to apply that philosophy to other aspects of my life. Although I’ve heard that saying before, I was never able to actually see it through until now.

It showed me that I could love the journey of working towards a goal and not focus only on the success/failure of that goal. I was able to be fulfilled by the journey itself and the outcome didn’t affect my life as much anymore. If I failed, I got to keep working towards that goal and if I succeeded, I got to set another goal and begin the process all over again.

I learned that FAILURE IS OKAY! I’ve struggled with that my whole life. I was always afraid of failure and sometimes missed out on opportunities because of it. 

The gym has also taught me how beneficial it is to surround yourself with goal-oriented individuals. 

Throughout my journey, I have learned so much about myself and have grown so much as an individual. I am forever grateful for the person I am today because of it. 

Hailey Rodgers

Louisiana Tech '22

Hi! I'm Hailey and am currently a marketing major at LA Tech! I love traveling and gaining new experiences along the way (: