This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

When COVID-19 came knocking on all of our doors, I was in the middle of trying to find a job. Panic took over as I searched the internet for a job that would help me build my resume. After one job application after another, I was getting more and more discouraged. How could I find a job when so many companies were on a hiring freeze? 

A few weeks later, I ended up getting a gig babysitting for someone my mom worked for. My mom had asked around, and it turned out that one of her coworkers required a full-time babysitter. While I had hoped to build my resume, I knew that this would be a great opportunity to save up some money and be doing a job I enjoyed. 

Photo by Marisa Howenstine from Unsplash
When summer came to a close, and I moved back to my college town, the job search process started all over again. Countless phone calls, tons of dead ends, and no luck finding a job. Eventually, after applying to nearly any and every job I could find, I decided there was nothing more I could do. I sat back, waiting, and hoping I would receive a call or even an email with a job offer. 

After a little bit of time had passed, I assumed that most of the jobs I applied to either were no longer hiring or simply didn’t choose me as an employee. While all hope was lost, I received an email from my college about an internship opportunity. The internship included everything I was looking for. I would be able to gain experience, build my resume, and even enjoy doing it. 

I reached out to the person in charge, and after emailing back and forth I was rewarded the position of Social Media Marketing Intern. While this was an unpaid position, I planned on working as hard as I could, putting in my best efforts, and fulfilling this position to the best of my ability. Months later, I was offered a paid position, and now I cannot wait to keep working in a job I love so much. 

If you’re looking for a job, whether it is to make money or build your resume, I recommend not ruling out unpaid internships. After working in an unpaid position, oftentimes, if you and the company work well together, you can have an opportunity at a paid position. Internships alone are a great way to gain experience, knowledge, and skills, and oftentimes they can open up new doors and opportunities you may not have had otherwise. 

woman using laptop
Photo by Artem Podrez from Pexels
With COVID-19, job searching looks a lot different. I would not have found the job I have now if it wasn’t for having an open mind about my options, being willing to work hard for it, and putting my effort into the things I’m passionate about. Whatever you do, don’t give up, keep pushing, and you’ll find a job that is the right fit for you.

As a little girl, I spent hours writing stories. Obviously they weren't exactly bestsellers, but it was my passion nevertheless. I would fill up my notebooks with everything I didn't know how to say out loud, and anything I could imagine. Now, as a college student, I'm chasing my dream one word at a time. I'm currently studying English and Marketing, with the intention of becoming an editor.
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!