This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Routines may sound boring, but they are great for your body. Personally, I think it allows you to be more productive, as well. Your body develops its own sort of clock, and you can train your body for the lifestyle you want! 

Not everyone is a fan of schedules and routines, and that’s perfectly okay too! Routines can be great for mornings, nights, workouts, and practically anything you want to make one for. I can go on and on about different routines but I’m going to focus on what a good morning and night routine may look like. 

person holding a cup of tea with a bowl of nuts/grains
Photo by THE 5TH from Unsplash
Morning Routine:

• Wash your face/ shower. Start your day off fresh.

• Breakfast. Make yourself a healthy breakfast to fuel your day and your body. (You can also include a coffee, tea, cappuccino, etc. here). Don’t forget to take your vitamins! 

• Stretch. Get some stretching done to loosen your muscles and get your blood flowing. You can do this at any point or as often as you’d like.

• Music. Make yourself a ‘good mood’ playlist to play throughout the morning while you’re getting ready.

• Get dressed. Even if you’re not going anywhere, get out of those sleep clothes. Psychologically you’ll feel more inclined to do something rather than if you’re just in your pj’s. All about that productivity! 

• Clean up. Clean up any clutter, make your bed, pick up any clothes, start any laundry– just small things to get your day started… not a full spring clean.

• Work. Set aside about an hour to be productive. Get some school work done, get work done for yourself, maybe even spend the time learning about something you may be interested in that would be beneficial for you. The purpose here is to be productive and create progress for yourself– regardless of what that looks like for you.

• To-Do list. Create yourself a to-do list for the rest of your day of things you’d like to get done. Don’t forget to be reasonable with this list– you want to be able to accomplish these things. It may be helpful to make a side list of things you’d like to get done in the next few days that way if you have time you can work on them. You don’t want to overload yourself with tasks you can’t complete. 

Side tip: Get out in the sun if you can in the morning. The sun sends signals to your body to help wake up and generate energy :)

Photo by Anna Tarazevich from Pexels
Night Routine:

Your night routine should look somewhat similar to your morning routine, just tweaked a little to accommodate calming your body instead of waking it up. 

• To-Do list. Just make yourself a list of reminders for the next day. It helps calm your mind for the night so you’re not up thinking about all the things you need to do the next day. Plus you can use it as a reference when you create your morning to-do list.

• Clean up. Clean up a bit again… any clutter, clothes, dishes, etc.

• Wash your face/ shower. Wash the day away.

• Change into sleep clothes. Let your body be comfortable so it can start relaxing to help you fall asleep faster. 

• Stretch. Do some light stretching to ease any tension from the day and to help relax your muscles. 

• Tea/water. Drink some night time/ non-caffeinated tea or water before bed. 

• Music. Like in the morning you can listen to music at any time of this process but try to make it more calming/ slower music.

Person in a bathtub with lemons and herbs reading
Photo by Taryn Elliot from Pexels
Feel free to add your own twists to these routines; they’re specifically for you and it all depends on what works for you. It’s important to develop good habits for your body. Your future self will thank you.

Hailey Rodgers

Louisiana Tech '22

Hi! I'm Hailey and am currently a marketing major at LA Tech! I love traveling and gaining new experiences along the way (:
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!