Blueberry Pancakes
Blueberry Pancakes
Alex Frank / Spoon

Blueberry Banana Oat Pancakes for Lazy Sunday Mornings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

On Sunday mornings, the sweet aroma of cooked pancakes would greet me out of my slumber. Jumping out of bed, my heart would skip beats as I saw fluffy pancakes stacked upon each other and lay on my plate. As I drizzled golden brown syrup onto my pancakes, I could taste the anticipation on the tip of my tongue. When I finally bit into the pancakes, it was glorious. When I became a vegan, I did not lose my love for pancakes and still made it a Sunday morning ritual. In my vegan journey, I experimented with a pancake recipe that would remind me of my Sunday mornings. What I love about this recipe are its simplicity and sweetness. With a little bit of syrup, some blueberries, and a ripe banana, you get the right amount of sweetness for a lazy Sunday morning. Plus, you use a blender, so you’re not doing much work. With this recipe, you can enjoy it any way you want. You can throw some blueberries, strawberries, and bananas or whatever you want. It’s your Sunday morning.

Spoon Csu-Mixing Bowl Whisk
Brooke Buchan / Spoon
Pancake mix

2 cups of whole wheat flour 

1 tablespoon of baking powder 

½ teaspoon of baking soda 

Cashews
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
Vegan “buttermilk”

1 cup of unsweetened plant milk (I use cashew milk) 

1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (you can use lemon juice)

Blueberries
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Sweet Stuff 

A handful of blueberries 

A ripe banana

1 tablespoon of maple syrup 

Chocolate pancakes with strawberries
Photo by Whitney Wright from Unsplash
Directions

1. Make your vegan “buttermilk” by mixing your plant milk and apple cider vinegar. Set it aside. 

2. In a bowl, make your pancake mix and give it a good stir. 

3. Now it’s time to mix your dry and wet ingredients, but not in a mixing bowl. Pull out your trusty blender and add your dry and wet ingredients into the blender. 

4. Before you get to mixing, add in your banana and maple syrup. 

5. After you make sure the blender is secure, it’s time for the mixing. I just put in on the blend feature.

1. If you find that the batter is not to your consistency, you can modify it. If you want it thicker, add a little bit more flour. If you want it thinner, add a little bit more milk. It’s your world.

6. After you’ve blended it, add in your blueberries and give your batter a quick mix.

7. Pour your batter into a measuring cup for an easier pour. 

8. It’s time for the magic to happen. Pull out your griddle or your pan or whatever you use to cook and heat your stove to medium heat. 

9. Once your pan is heated, add in enough oil to coat the pan and make sure it is evenly coated. 

10. Pour your batter onto the pan to make your pancake. 

11. When you see bubbles (or I would say tiny holes appear in the batter), that’s when it’s time to flip to the other side. 

12. Then repeat steps 9 and 11. 

Caitlin Mercier

Louisiana Tech '22

I am fourth year in the doctoral Counseling Psychology program at Louisiana Tech University. I love reading, writing, and cooking. Fun fact: I am a vegan!
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!