This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By Eriana Muñoz 

Thousands of TikToks have made their way to my “For You Page,” showcasing people’s absolutely adorable seasonal outfits. Many focus on a new style called the “Rory Gilmore aesthetic” and I have become obsessed with it! With this new style on the rise, it has prompted many other content creators to make similar videos and the “Rory Gilmore aesthetic” has grown into a newfound trend. 

As more videos began popping up on my TikTok feed, I started noticing certain items that were being used in nearly every video, and I have dubbed these items as winter fashion essentials. 

Corduroy

Corduroy jeans and corduroy jackets are by far the most popular clothing items this year. They’re comfy, cute, and come in many different styles to accommodate every winter outfit. Corduroy can be found at Hollister, Forever 21, and Pacsun. 

long sleeved tops

Although the weather here in sunny Southern California never really goes below 70 degrees, long sleeve tops are a cute must-have. With multiple different styles from thermal shirts to button-ups, these tops can be worn in a variety of ways. You can find tops like these at American Eagle, Brandy Melville, and Pacsun.

sweaters

For those colder days, sweaters are a must! Lately, there’s been a sudden surge of specific sweaters: “grandpa” sweaters. Basically, they’re sweaters that you could envision your grandpa wearing with cool designs and typically darker color schemes. You can find these at Amazon, Etsy, and L.L. Bean. 

Another booming article of clothing are sweater vests. I’ve seen countless posts with girls wearing the once “nerdy” piece over button-down shirts, turtlenecks, and even just by itself! There’s a handful of ways to style it and it gives off a sophisticated but cute vibe. You can find cute sweater vests at Brandy Melville, H&M, and Target. 

shoes

Winter isn’t just about clothes though. You have to round out the perfect look with the perfect pair of shoes! 

Doc Martens have taken the world by storm these past couple of years and with their numerous types of styles, there’s no way you can go wrong with any of them! Some of their most popular styles include the Jadon boots, Chelsea boots, 1461 Bex platform shoes, and 8053 platform shoes. Although they do cost more than your average footwear, these shoes are some of the most durable and well-made shoes out there! Buy with caution though because these beauties hurt to break in (from my own personal experience). 

Converses have also made a huge comeback, more specifically the Converse Chuck 70s and Converse Platform shoes. Although they are a little more pricey than the All Star shoes, the Chuck 70s are made out of a thicker material, are more durable, and have some slight style changes. These high tops come in a multitude of colors and go with any outfit. The Converse Platform shoes have also been a big hit this winter. The two styles of platforms, the Lugged Chuck Taylors and Platform Chuck Taylors, are available in various colors and funky prints but are hard to come by because of their popularity. Both shoes complement a winter outfit nicely and are comfortable. They prove beauty does not always equal pain. 

New shoes on the rise are loafers. They’ve blown up thanks to TikTok and are the new craze in shopping trends. Similar to “grandpa” sweaters, these shoes have a sort of “grandma” vibe to them: they’re old-fashioned but stylish, and people can really pull them off! These shoes are a little less expensive than Doc Martens and more comfortable, although they do differ in style and there aren’t that many options in terms of types of loafers. You can find these shoes at H&M, DSW, and Nordstrom. 

Have fun with this upcoming winter season and don’t be afraid to mix and match some of these winter fashion essentials with your existing style. Fashion is a form of self-expression so go out and express yourself! 

🌟 Related: 5 Beauty Products For The Winter Weather
Vivian is a junior majoring in journalism. She was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. In her free time, you will often find her watching sitcoms, crocheting, reading, or scrolling through Twitter for the best memes.