This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It’s that time of year! The temperature is starting to drop and that brutal winter wind is starting to hit.

Growing up, my mom always told me to make sure to stay as warm as possible, layer my clothes, wear a warm pair of boots, and don’t forget to wear a hat to protect your head. But she never mentioned anything about my skin. Our skin is a prime victim of the freezing winter winds, drying out our skin to the point where it can even start to crack. 

Here are five of my winter skincare must-haves to save your skin so you can “sleigh” the holidays. 

Source: Kiehl’s

1. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream Although I typically have to deal with oily skin, my skin does dry out a lot during the cold winter months. I prevent any further drying-out by excessively moisturizing my face specifically since it’s the least covered part of my body. This is my favorite moisturizer, as its extremely lightweight, yet it provides up to 24 hours of hydration.

Source: Amazon.com 

1. Chapstick Lip Moisturizer and Skin Protectant We can’t forget about our lips! There are some great high-end products for your lips, but personally, this is a category where I like to save money. Believe it or not, these $2.99 lip balms get the job done. These keep your lips soft for up to 8 hours, but I personally like to keep reapplying throughout the day. Besides having such a hydrating formula that includes aloe and vitamin E, it also provides SPF 12.

Source: Sephora.com

1. SUPERGOOP! Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40 Just because the sun isn’t shining bright this winter doesn’t mean the UV rays aren’t there seeping into your skin. Sunscreen is such an underrated skincare product and such an important one! This is such a holy grail product for me. This sunscreen is light and transparent, making it easy to apply your makeup over it.

Source: Sephora.com

1. LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Ok, I know I just called the last product my holy grail, but just know I really, really, really love this product as well. I have made this award-winning lip sleeping mask a part of my night routine for a couple of months now and I’m obsessed! Contrary to the $2.99 chapstick above, this lip mask will cost you $20, but it’s worth the investment for its unreal results! You simply put this on, just like a chapstick, leave it overnight, wipe it off in the morning, and your lips will be the softest they’ve ever been!

Source: Sephora.com

1. Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream Another part of our skin that is often exposed during the winter months is our hands! In my case, what usually happens is I leave my apartment wearing mittens, but I take them off to drive, I end up forgetting them in the car, and before I know it my hands are freezing and dry. Although this is a little bit on the pricier side for a hand cream at $15, a little goes a long way and makes such an effect on my hands, helping keep them moisturized and youthful-looking.  

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized how important it is to take care of your skin and to invest in products that will keep your skin looking good. Especially in the brutal winter months, it’s annoying to be applying even colder lotions and products on your face, but they will help you in the long run.

Stay warm, stay moisturized, and stay festive!

Jacqueline Hernandez is a bilingual fourth year student at Georgia State University, majoring in journalism. After graduation, her ultimate goal would be to move to Los Angeles or New York City to pursue her career as an entertainment journalist. When she is not busy on schoolwork and catching up on the latest Hollywood gossip, she enjoys traveling, attending live music events, and sharing all of her experiences via social media.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus