The War on Christmas: Tis’ the Season for Controversies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By: Anna Bybee

Isn’t it supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year? It seems these happy holidays have gone sour with all the rage behind the recent inappropriate holiday advertisements. In today’s day and age, the sensitivity toward any social projection that shames or discriminates against women has been maximized. Protecting women from becoming targets of exploitative advertising especially during holiday seasons would surely put the happy back in the holidays. Unfortunately, this season has fired up the infamous “War on Christmas,” where the mobs reemerge to attack any sign of misrepresentation, inequality, or suppression of what the holidays “should” encompass.

First up on the advertising backlashes, the marketing concept of “sex sells” goes too far once again – this time Bloomingdale’s latest advertising scandal hits the headlines. Who let this one slide? This question rightfully broke out across almost all social media platforms. Bloomingdale’s slip up in promoting fashion while promoting the use of date rape drugs not only caused a nationwide uproar, but also caused a damaging reflection of the store’s values.

Along with this mishap, plenty of other disruptive errors in advertising have sparked outrages. Next to Bloomingdale’s, Budlight seems to have #nofilter by adding “The perfect beer for removing ‘no’ from your vocabulary for the night” to their cans. The importance of consent and boundaries for a woman are clearly disregarded in order to sell soda drinks. Once again, who let this one slide?

Target was not cut any slack in what they thought was witty advertising. The sweater that states “OCD Obsessive Christmas Disorder” didn’t exactly spread the Christmas cheer. Customers expressed their dissatisfaction for a product that would desensitize the seriousness of OCD to a lot of people. 

And, of course, we must not forget how outrageous the hatred on Starbucks new plain red cups has been. Starbucks has had its fair share of marketing condemnations, but this time they feel as if they just can’t please everyone. The plain red cups to celebrate the Christmas season and specialty drinks have faced controversy for leaving “Christ” out of Christmas. There has been a range of controversy over whether the Christian community is really making a fuss about coffee cups, but regardless Starbucks is struggling to get a positive message across. 

Have no fear, NORDSTROM IS HERE! Whether Nordstrom’s is just trying to people please or they actually planned on not “decking the halls” too soon this year, they are doing it right. Thanksgiving thanks you Nordstrom! 

In today’s society, things sometimes tend to be blown a little out of proportion, but that does not justify joking about sexual assault in advertising in any way. Being aware of a sensitive society and displaying nothing but positive, motivating advertisements, especially during the Christmas season, will put an end to the “War on Christmas.” Let’s share the love and bring back that peace and joy we know we can have!