This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Finals are coming up. For every student, this is typically the most stressful time of the year. The one thing that always gets pushed aside when finals loom overhead is self-care. I know I often forget to take care of myself because of the busier finals schedule, but it is truly important to make sure we all take care of ourselves. That being said, here are some tips and tricks to help de-stress and practice self-care during these hectic weeks. 

Move your body

Whatever you choose to do – whether it be a YouTube workout or a short walk – make sure to move your body. Working out releases hormones that make you happier and help clear your head. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, moving your body can really help lessen the stress. 

Treat yourself

Have your favorite dinner, grab a Starbucks, or do literally anything to help keep yourself motivated while studying. When you reward yourself, you’re more likely to continue working. Small rewards are great to also remind yourself  how worthwhile it really is to study. 

Give yourself an incentive for getting through finals

Having a goal is great. It’s encouraging to look past finals week to something more exciting. This reward can be physical, like a pair of shoes you’ve had your eyes on, or mental like a great meal or a relaxing day at the beach. 

Get outside

Getting fresh air is so important in keeping yourself stable. As long as it is safe, get out and go enjoy the great outdoors for a quick study break. 

Try a short, creative hobby 

Getting your creative brain flowing is a great break from all the academics. And it’s stimulating without being too distracting. Whatever this new hobby looks like for you, let it be something that relaxes you! You could try doodling and drawing, Pinterest mood board making, or cooking up some yummy food. 

Limit social media time 

I know it can seem fun, but staring at a screen for longer than you need to is really bad for both your eyes and your brain. Try to limit your social media time because it will help limit your screen time overall. 

Eat healthy

By taking care of your body, you are taking care of your mind. It’s like putting expensive gas into your car. Have sweets as rewards but try to make sure your main meals are healthier foods. It’ll increase your focus and it’s a nice treat for your body.   

Whatever you do, remember that you are smart, capable, and strong. You’ve got this! Some final exams cannot get in the way of your dreams.   

LMU Class of '24 Political Science Major
Rylie Walsh is a recent graduate of Loyola Marymount University, where she earned her degree in Communication Studies and English! She was President of Her Campus LMU for the 2021-22 school year and is also a Her Campus National Writer. When she's not reading, writing, or working, you can find her hanging out with friends, SoulCycling, or enjoying her all time favorite dessert: a Pressed freeze.