free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer Internship Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Now that you’ve snagged your dream internship (or maybe the one your parents forced you to take), it’s time to talk fashion. Do slouchy black pants and uncomfortable pleated skirt suits come to mind when you think of business attire? Impress your boss with more than just your hard work and punctuality this summer! Take your office style from boring to fab with these essential pieces.

1. Blazer: Try tossing out your traditional black one for a floral printed pick like this one from Paper Dolls. Wear over a dress or pair with denim for casual Fridays. Bonus: it may be hot outside, but a blazer will keep you warm when the A/C is blasting in the office.

2. Oxfords: Flip-flops are acceptable to wear at the beach, pool, and probably your local yoga studio, but not at work. Switch your sandals for a pair of oxfords, like this pair from Asos. They’re so cute and comfortable, that you’ll want to wear these outside of the office too.

3. Button down: A button down is a classic look for men and women especially in a professional setting. Look for a more feminine option to play up the menswear look. How cute is this one from Free People?

4. Leather skirt: Remember when we talked about the unattractive skirt suits? Let’s keep those in the 80’s where they belong! If it’s appropriate for your office, try an edgier leather mini skirt like this option from Zara.

5. Laptop bag: At some jobs, you may be required to bring your own laptop. If that is the case, pick up a laptop bag for a cute case-meets-purse accessory. Try one in a fun hue like this Marc by Marc Jacobs bag.

6. Colored denim: If working in a more casual office environment, colored denim is a simple, yet stylish item to wear to work. This mint pair from 7 For All Mankind is the perfect color for summer that can be dressed up or down. Printed denim is another fun and office appropriate alternative to your classic blue jeans.

7. Metal watch: A watch has “I have important things to do, places to be, and people to see” written all over it. A chunky metal option will give any outfit that professional touch that even you, little miss intern, could use. This Kate Spade one is simple, yet elegant. Now you have no excuse to show up late to a meeting!

8. Ballet flats: Like a little black dress, the perfect pair of ballet flats will never go out of style. Yosi Samra makes adorable ones in various prints and fabrics that can be folded up into a little bag if you want to swap them out for heels after work. Invest in a cool pair and you’ll live in them.

Now that you know what to wear to work, play around with different styles, materials, and colors. Don’t forget to ask what attire is appropriate at your company before starting the position. Happy shopping!