This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I’ve been drinking a cup of coffee a day for six years. This summer, I decided it was time to stop. My energy was so low, buying coffee gets expensive, and I was beginning to have stomach problems. I decided to see if getting rid of coffee from my daily diet would help me out. Here’s what I learned by ditching coffee:

The first few days were pretty rough. I was tired all the time and got some really bad headaches. This is pretty typical of someone going through caffeine withdrawals, so I stuck it out and continued with my plan. Luckily, my body eventually readjusted to the lack of caffeine and I started functioning at the same level as if I drank a cup of coffee. I even stopped getting that standard afternoon crash that is pretty common in the world of caffeine lovers. I’ve felt so much healthier and livelier since quitting coffee. 

I’ve also saved a lot of time in the morning by not savoring my drink. I’m a pretty slow coffee-drinker, so not drinking it added a decent amount of extra time to my morning. My bank account has also thanked me for not getting expensive iced coffee or k-cups anymore. 

The adjustment was not the easiest in the world, but still very doable. Once I got past the headaches and major change in my morning routine, I was thriving in my coffee-free life. 

Ava Calpino

Wisconsin '22

Ava Calpino is a senior strategic communication major at UW Madison. She previously wrote for LMU's chapter. She loves writing, the environment, and cute animals.