This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Who doesn’t love a good skincare routine? Especially one that is actually effective for your skin. Whether you were blessed with perfect skin or are more on the acne-prone side, keeping up with your skin is a must. However, what you use on your skin can also affect it both positively and negatively.

For those who have acne prone skin, using face masks, scrubs, or lotions from drugstores such as Target may not be the best choice. Brands like Que Bella, Yes To, and Neutrogena may be dermatologist tested, but if they are not making a difference or worsening your skin, there is a reason:  it is not catered towards acne-prone skin. 

For those with skin concerns, and even those without, treating your skin to quality (and maybe pricey) products is an absolute must. 

Many of the products listed below may be found much easier at Dermstore, or at stores such as Walgreens, Target, Ulta, or online retailers like Amazon.

Below are six skincare brands to consider (and some personal favorites): 

1. La Roche Posay 

Hydrating Gentle Soap Free Cleanser is a gentle face wash that works to hydrate and cleanse your skin. It works great on sensitive skin!

2. Bioderma 

If you have sensitive skin, Bioderma’s Sensibio AR Cream works to fight visible redness and offers a hydrated complexion. This product can be used alone under makeup or combined with a moisturizer (like the one provided below)! 

3. Vichy

For juicy, hydrated skin try out Mineral 89 Daily Skin Booster Serum and Moisturizer! It can help reduce dryness, fine lines and wrinkles, and any loss of firmness. Make sure you use after washing your face and before applying any makeup you may use.

4. EltaMD 

Sunscreen should be a vital part of your skincare routine, protecting your skin from harsh UV rays and preventing discoloration. If you have acne skin, non-comedogenic sunscreens work best for you. So try out EltaMD: UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 in clear or with a tint! 

5. Avène 

Cleanance Expert serves many uses and can be a part of your makeup routine or nightly routine. For a lasting matte look throughout the day, the product can serve as a makeup primer. As a nighttime product, it is a light moisturizer that helps heal blemishes and prevents breakouts. The gentle exfoliants in the cream serve to provide smooth skin.

6. Noreva 

Heavy foundations or makeup in general is not your skin’s best friend, which is why a softer base may be more beneficial. Although this specific product is catered towards light to medium skin, the Actipur BB Cream works to hide imperfections and balance oils produced, matifying your skin. Try it out and you may just find your new favorite foundation!

These are all quality and beneficial products destined to improve your skin and acne! However, if you tend to have more aggressive acne, seeing a dermatologist who can recommend oral medication and facials may help reduce your acne faster alongside all the products listed above! 

Happy skin-caring!

Marieann is a second year student at Loyola Marymount in Los Angeles. She is a Spanish major and pursuing a teaching credential. As a native to LA, she loves to visit picturesque places and try new restaurants (sometimes the same yummy ones). Marieann loves creating content, both graphics and creative pieces. She loves fashion and has her own small, handmade jewelry business!
Her Campus LMU