Quick Tips for Decorating Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I think decorating your dorm and making it feel like a place you want to sleep and spend time studying in is super important. Your dorm room will start out completely blank, so you can turn it into quite literally whatever you want! Whether you want to go all out or just keep it simple and easy (like I do), here are some quick tips that I’ve found helpful on how to decorate without too much trouble, as well as an item of convenience to have in your room:

photo wall

The very first thing I do when I prepare to move into my dorm is print out a bunch of photos (about 50) to put on my wall. I find that it makes me feel more at home to have photos of my family and friends to look at. I also find it really nice and comforting to look at pictures and let my mind wonder back to those specific memories that those photos bring me back to! For a cuter look, you can grab a bunch of polaroid photos and use a clip string light set to hang them up!

full-length mirror

You don’t realize how essential it is to have a mirror in your room until you live without one and have nowhere to check your look before you leave. Mirrors are also helpful for making your likely very small dorm feel more spacious and roomier. I grabbed mine from Target and used Command Strips to hang it up! Dormify also has some cute mirrors if you want something unique to spice things up.

Tapestrie

Tapestries are yet another super easy way to decorate your dorm without making it look too overwhelming. They’re super easy to hang and are big enough to the point where you don’t have to do much more decorating afterwards, especially if you pick one with a pretty design or color scheme that matches the tone of your bedding. You can get tapestries from pretty much anywhere, such as Target, Urban Outfitters, Dormify, and Shein.

Bring Some Pieces of Home to Your Dorm

Because college is such a huge transition as a freshman (it certainly was for me), I’ve personally found that bringing some items from my childhood bedroom at home such as framed photos or other decorations and keepsakes that reminded me of home can be really comforting. It can also save a lot of time and money when you don’t have to start over and buy every single decoration from scratch. I usually take some framed photos and miscellaneous decorations from the shelves in my room, such as my polaroid camera.

Hopefully some of these tips will help you decorate your dorm room!

🌟 Related: 4 Things You Can Do Right Now to Improve Your Dorm Room