This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Christmastime brings to mind images of evergreen pine trees with glittering lights and colorful packages underneath. Watching Elf for the thousandth time in your footie pajamas, and baking those rolls of cookie dough with the little reindeer faces on them. Visions of sugarplums dancing in our heads! And of course, going home to see your family. When you haven’t been in your home state in almost four months, you’ve got to do a little bit of mental preparation. Here are five things I have learned, as I get ready to return home for Christmas this year.

1. I Am Not Ready For the Cold Weather

Another image that comes to mind when thinking of the holiday season is the freezing cold weather and snow — at least that’s what you’re used to, being born and raised in New England. But what if you’re going to school in Southern California, where it’s pretty much warm and sunny year round? At this point, I’m so spoiled by the warmth that I barely want go outside if it’s less than 70 degrees out. So it goes without saying that I’m going need at least ten coats on at all times as soon as I get home. 

2. My Parents Really Miss Me (Like, Really)

I’m a freshman in college, so it goes without saying that I was not used to being away home for longer than a week or so. And, of course, my parents weren’t used to me, their only daughter and only child, away at school, being away either. Every FaceTime or phone call ended with at least 5 minutes of “I miss you” exchanges. I miss my mom and dad just as much, if not more than they miss me, but I have a feeling that as soon as I get home they’re just going to want stare at me, for, like, an hour straight. 

3. The College Student Budget Doesn’t Really Allow For Christmas Gifts

I started coming up with Christmas gift ideas months ago. I was so excited to buy my friends and family gear from my college bookstore, since I love getting that kind of stuff for presents myself. But as the semester went on, I started to realize that, uh, I don’t have any money. When it comes to buying books, shampoo, clothes (who am I kidding, mostly clothes), I had no idea how fast I was spending my money. And as a freshman with no job, I realized I couldn’t exactly afford gifts for all my friends or family back home. But maybe if I start saving now, I can buy gifts next Christmas? 

4. I Am Not Prepared For All The Questions From My Family

This is probably a pretty common one. As soon as any college student (or really any person, for that matter) sees their entire extended family for the first time in a few months, there are bound to be a few (hundred) questions. “How are your classes?” “Tell us about your friends!” “What do you do on the weekends?” “Are your grades good?” And the dreaded “Are you in a relationship yet?” It’s safe to say that I’m going to have to do some serious preparation before I sit at the dinner table with all my aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins on Christmas Day. And I advise the rest of you to do the same, if you want to avoid an awkward dinner. 

5. I Haven’t Seen My Best Friend Since August

Of course I miss my family more than anything. But not seeing your best friends in four months is quite a different feeling. Obviously we had an ongoing group text all semester, but it is not the same as chatting in person. It has been way too long since we’ve driven around singing Whitney Houston, gone out for ice cream at midnight, or sat around watching dumb movies, and that’s one of the things I miss most about being home. Not to mention all the crazy college-ness we’ve experienced that we need to tell each other about. I can already picture what it’s going to be like when I see my best friend as soon as I go home. 

Even though I have a lot of packing and preparing to do before I head back to the East Coast next week, I am more excited than ever to end a great semester with a trip home for the most wonderful time of the year!