tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

New Year’s Resolution Redo’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Have you broken your New Year’s resolution yet? If you’re anything like us, your new paleo diet that you were calling “more of a lifestyle change, really” was over the second New Year’s day arrived and the only cure was IHOP pancakes. The beginning of the year is great for leaving the past behind, renewal, and fresh starts. However, all too often do we romanticize the New Year—we promise ourselves that this is the semester I’ll get straight A’s, become a CrossFit fiend with Michelle Obama arms, or end my long term career as a Single Lady (sorry, Beyoncé). In our experience, these resolutions not only set me up for failure and disappointment, but they also are never based in real, productive, long-term goals that aim to create a happy life. We are all for introspection and self-improvement—trust us, we live for our vision boards. But we also believe in moderation and balance—neither of which we achieve from a 90-day sugar fast. We all love a good beginning of the semester makeover, but chances are your resolutions need one too. The following are five New Year’s resolution re-do’s, which aim to recreate your typical resolution into something that’s totally achievable and will bring you positive vibes and confidence into the new semester.

1. Practice moderation in diet and exercise.

Is your new year’s resolution to have a kick ass body by Cabo for spring break?  We get it—you want to look great in that new bikini. And I’m not going to tell you that you shouldn’t. I am saying that your new year’s health and exercise kick should not become obsessive, nor should it be based in shame or in an attempt to drastically change your body. Too often, these types of resolutions can produce a negative way of thinking—you point out your stomach, which could be flatter, your skin, which could look clearer, and your thighs, which could be thinner. In doing so, we ignore what we do love about our bodies and ourselves.  Resolve to practice moderation in your diet and exercise goals to achieve realistic goals. Resolve to have some compassion for your body and gratitude for your favorite features. Resolve to practice self-care that improves the way you feel, not only how you look.

2. Make a new friend.

Okay, hear us out because we know this one is scary.  You’ve got your solid group of gal pals, and that’s great. But you know girl in your BADM class? She’s probably really cool. Or that one girl in your pledge class you just never got around to knowing? Ask her to coffee! Expand your circle; get out of your comfort zone. This is low risk, high reward, and resolving to make a new friend can only bring new perspectives, adventures, and at the very least, another friend you can drag to Urth Café on Sundays.

3.  Practice mindfulness.

As millienials we are constantly multitasking. I’m checking my Twitter feed, watching Top Chef, and juggling knives while writing this. 2015 is the year to take a breath, look around, and observe the world around you. When we slow down, we find not only find joy in the smaller things, but we also give ourselves time to respond and react to others more effectively.  Fully participate in everything you are doing—whether that’s a conversation with your best friend or yoga class.

4. Grow something.

My roommate and I recently spent way too much money at The Home Depot planting a garden on our balcony that we think, is truly delightful. Buy yourself a potted plant (or a succulent if you’re truly helpless or just trendy), stick it on your desk, and watch it grow. Or die. That’s ok too. Having some greenery in your life is a great way to feel responsible of something without any real consequences. Trust us, you will feel a sense of purpose when that bad boy blooms a new flower.

5. Stop apologizing!

As women, we are constantly and unnecessarily apologizing. I mean, if you spilled vodka soda all over your sorority sister’s dress by all means say sorry and get that dry cleaned ASAP. But when it comes to what you believe in, your values, or a sincere question or reasonable request, do not apologize. How often do we start a question with, “I’m sorry but…?” No more of that in 2015. Stand strong in your opinions and don’t be afraid to ask for what you need. You are more than deserving.