Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness

My 6 Self-Care Tips for Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

1. Schedule Your Studying & Make Sure It Includes a Study Break

Not only will this help you stay on track, but also allow you to give yourself a break! This can be as personalized and specific as you like, either planning down to the hour or just what you want to get done overall that day. One of my greatest (self-inflicted) hardships when it comes to studying is procrastination; creating a schedule for myself helps combat this by making sure I give myself enough time to complete an assignment or study for a big test.

This will also help you set boundaries: when you know you are going to be studying, give yourself that uninterrupted, limited distraction space by creating boundaries with your housemates, parents and friends. This could look as simple as placing a “do not disturb” sign on your door and putting your phone down as well. 

2. Pamper Yourself

Personally, when I am stressed out with multiple assignments, my skin and skincare routine often suffers the consequences. Don’t let being busy make you forget to take care of your skin and body!

3. Sleep!

I promise it’s not worth it to stay up all night studying — you won’t retain anything. Sleep will recharge your body and your mind to ensure that you are getting the most out of your studying. Get your sleep: your skin, body, and mind will thank you! 

4. Don’t Forget to Fuel Your Body

Stress can make us forget or put off eating until after we’ve completed the assignment, but this is counterintuitive. Having a regular eating schedule gives our bodies and minds the energy we need to get the most out of our studying. Grab some healthy snacks to have during your study sessions, and do not forget to drink water — be careful of over-caffeination!

5. Reward Yourself

Completed an assignment? Did the amount of studying you allotted for yourself that day? Finished a final? Reward yourself! This can honestly be as simple as grabbing your favorite ice-cream or dessert, watching your favorite show, or facetiming your friends for some decompression time.

6. Don’t Be Too Hard On Yourself

To be perfect 24/7 would be 1) physically impossible and 2) a burden too heavy for anyone to carry. If you make a mistake, can’t stick to your schedule for any reason, or have anxiety over your finals, do not be so hard on yourself! College is hard, and during a global pandemic it has even more challenges — but you’ve made it this far, and that’s amazing! Change those negative thoughts into affirmations — you can do it, you will get through it to the best of your ability, and you’ve got this!

Megan is a senior English major at Loyola Marymount University, graduating in December 2020. With a heart for discovering the unknown, she loves to travel and learn new things. When not writing, she can often be found hunting for boba, fresh coffee, or city views. :)
Her Campus LMU