This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Last year over quarantine I, like most other college students, was feeling very disconnected and for lack of a better word, bored. So, when the fall semester started I threw myself into campus life. I joined multiple clubs, got involved with Greek Life, was hired at the university newspaper and decided to take 18 credits. I made tons of connections and was excited about the year to come. 

I quickly realized that I had over committed myself and instead of being bored, I was now terribly busy. This experience is not uncommon. Many college students have similar problems of overcommitment, burnout and stress. 

While being involved is fulfilling, it can also be overwhelming. Taking time off can be difficult especially when it leads to feeling guilty about not being productive. Surprisingly though, the more we rest, the more productive we are. 

So how can students rest productively? First and foremost, resting is important regardless of its result, people can’t always be on the go. That said, there are ways that resting can actually result in increased productivity. 

Unfortunately scrolling on social media is not a very productive form of rest. It stimulates our brains and over use has been linked to poor mental health. An alternative is reading a book, specifically a paper book. This helps people take a break from their screens and relax. 

Another productive form of rest is enjoying time with friends. While this can be stimulating it can also be a great way to rest and get your mind off work. Having casual entertaining conversations is a great way to boost creativity and sustain motivation. 

The most effective way to rest is to spend time in nature. Whether this is going on a walk, tanning at the beach, skiing, hiking or even sitting in the fresh air, spending time in nature is proven to be the best way to promote productivity. 

While these are just a few techniques, regular rest is important no matter how it is executed. 

Hi I am Summer! I am from Breckenridge Colorado and I am currently studying journalism at LMU. I love writing, photography and the outdoors.