This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Stressing about being stressed can be a vicious cycle that seems impossible to escape, especially nowadays since our world went into chaos-mode a little over a year ago. Sometimes watching a show or a movie to destress just won’t cut it, at least that’s how it goes for me. The anxiety brought on by stress always seems to find a way back in as I’m trying to watch some popular show on Netflix. Read on for some tips that have helped manage my anxiety! Hopefully they can help you manage your own daily stress and anxiety, too. 

Knitting or Crocheting

Trust me when I say: knitting and crocheting are not just a grandma thing! Knitting and crocheting have gained a lot of popularity via social media and unique knitwear has become very trendy and fashionable. During quarantine, I found myself super bored…yet simultaneously stressed out. I never thought that knitting and crocheting would be such a stress reliever, but it really has been! If you’re a beginner, the only thing that will stress you out is trying to learn and figure out the basics. But once you do, it’s pretty smooth sailing from there. Knitting and crocheting will keep your mind occupied and relatively stress-free. Also, you might make/get some really cute clothing pieces out of it! 

Reading a book

I’ve found that reading a book keeps me way more occupied than watching a movie or a show – mainly because it requires so much more concentration and imagination. This tip might be a bit controversial, since some people are just not a huge fan of reading. But I do think it’s all about finding the right book. There are some hidden gems out there that can be absolute page-turners and are super difficult to put down. These are the kinds of books that will keep your mind at ease and you’ll soon forget all about reality. The question now is: “Where do I find books like these?” And the simple answer is: TikTok. BookTok, the sub-category dedicated to books and bookworms on TikTok, has a wide selection to choose from! 

Becoming a Plant Parent 

Nature has always been a constant stress reliever for me. Over quarantine, I decided to take that to the next level and become a plant parent. I bought the cutest houseplant from Trader Joes and it has been the highlight of my month thus far. Checking up on it periodically and making sure it’s healthy keeps me going throughout the day. It’s like a boost of serotonin every time I glance over at it! After becoming a successful plant parent, I of course bought even more houseplants, too. 

These tips for maintaining stress and anxiety might seem a bit far-fetched, but they’re really what worked for me this past year. I hope you find them helpful as well! 

Vivian is a junior majoring in journalism. She was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. In her free time, you will often find her watching sitcoms, crocheting, reading, or scrolling through Twitter for the best memes.
Rylie Walsh is a recent graduate of Loyola Marymount University, where she earned her degree in Communication Studies and English! She was President of Her Campus LMU for the 2021-22 school year and is also a Her Campus National Writer. When she's not reading, writing, or working, you can find her hanging out with friends, SoulCycling, or enjoying her all time favorite dessert: a Pressed freeze.