This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It takes time to get healthy hair, but the steps are pretty simple. I recently bleached my hair and was left with the right color, but dry strands. Here are some tips to achieve a healthy hair:

Drink water: You need to stay hydrated from the inside so that your strands aren’t dried out. Water also keeps your skin hydrated along with a bunch of other benefits.

Wash less often: Washing your hair strips of its natural oils. Also, when you wash your hair, the strand is more susceptible to breakage. So, try to stick with dry shampoo and wash your hair 3-5 times a week depending on your activities, the occasion. Additionally, your hair type is an important factor for the times you are washing your hair. If you have thinner hair, your hair can seem more oily so you may wash it more often.

Dyed hair: Whether you dyed your hair black, brown, pink, yellow, or green; you need to make sure to use a shampoo that does not involve sulfates. The sulfates in many shampoos will strip the color off your hair and you’ll be left with faded or even brassy hair.

Treatments: Try to use a deep conditioning mask every week to nourish your hair. The best one I’ve ever used is one that is commonly used in salons: OLAPLEX! Olaplex Hair Perfector No. 3 is a staple in salon because it really helps to soften the hair and keep it from getting stripped. The bottle is small, but you really only need a bit. Apply it to damp hair and let it sit for around 20 mins (longer if you need) and shampoo it out.

Heat protectant: Don’t forget to use a heat protectant before using your hot tools. This will act as a barrier between your hair and the heat applied. You may not see a difference right away, but if you curl or straighten your hair often, heat protectant is a must have and will save your hair in the long run.

Oils/ Leave in conditioners: When your hair is dry and needs something to tame the frizz, try using oils or leave in conditioners. These stay in your hair throughout the day and are a layer of moisture over your hair so that the weather doesn’t dry your hair out.

Just be patient and give your hair time to heal! Trust me, it’s really frustrating at first, but follow these steps and watch the health of your hair improve over time. Good luck!

Cat Lee

LMU '22

Hey there! I'm Cat and I'm from Pasadena, CA. Fun fact: I love spicy food and sometimes bring a mini Sriracha around with me. Add me on Instagram and Snapchat: @cat2400