This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl, fall has always been one of my favorite times of the year. Growing up in Seattle, I have been able to experience all that this beautiful season has to offer – from crunchy leaves, to crisp air, to the smell of spiced pine cones – fall has always had a special place in my heart. But moving to LA last year, where the term “seasons” is never relevant, I’ve missed my fall traditions. However, there are a few ways to bring back that fall spirit, even if you are far away from it:

Number 1: Get Lit

No I definitely don’t mean cracking open a cold one with the gals (I mean, you do you), but rather utilize fall scented candles to create a warm and welcoming ambience in your home. I always look for scents with the words “warm”, “spiced”, or even “fireplace”. These types of scents with make the indoors smell like wonderful fall time even when it’s 80 degrees and sunny outside. Some of my favorite places to pick up candles like these are Bath & Body works, Barnes and Noble, or Target!

Number 2: Jam Out

I am a huge supporter of music and what it can do for the spirit and the soul. So, it makes sense that I would advocate the use of fall themed music to help you get into the autumn ambience. There are a ton of seasonal playlists on Spotify that will instantly make you feel like jumping into a pile of leaves.

Number 3: See it, Believe it

I’m the type of person to change my phone background once a week simply because I get bored really easily. But, if you haven’t changed your lock or home screen wallpaper in a while, I’d suggest you make it fall themed: an artsy photo of falling leaves, a warming fire, or a photo of you and your pals at the pumpkin patch (a great excuse to get off campus and explore the fall-esque aspects of California). If the first thing you see when you turn on your phone is fall themed, you will be 100% more in the spirit!

Number 4: Wake and Bake

Again, not what you think. Literally wake up and bake something with the flavors of fall! This can be pumpkin muffins, spiced cinnamon rolls, or if you are limited with kitchen appliances, maybe even just pumpkin spiced oatmeal. I remember my freshman year I missed fall so much I bought pumpkin spice seasoning at Trader Joe’s and put it on everything… and I mean EVERYTHING. Not only will these treats taste yummy, but they will likely leave an aroma that will make you feel warm and cozy inside.

Number 5: Layer it Up

We all know that certain seasons are attributed with types of clothing to wear. However it can be a little tricky to do this when it’s still as warm as it was in summer. Instead of focusing on thick jackets and fuzzy socks, think about fall colors and textures! For example, velvet, faux fur, leather, and thin knit are all types of materials that will give a very autumn look to your outfit. These pieces don’t have to be huge sweaters or heavy coats, they can be tank tops, skirts, or even shoes! In addition, colors like burnt orange, burgundy, gold, black, olive green, and cream all play a huge role in the transition from summer to fall clothing. Don’t be a afraid to play around with new fall inspired pieces and transform your wardrobe into something spicy (pun intended)!

You don’t have to be somewhere with cold and cloudy weather to enjoy the different aspects of fall, you can bring it with you wherever you go! I hope you all have a cozy fall time and drink lots of warm apple cider, I know that’s what I’m gonna be doing :)

Alison is a Senior Marketing major at Loyola Marymount University. She is also President of Her Campus at LMU and has been involved since her freshman year. She enjoys writing, running, going to the beach, and is always down for a cute brunch.