diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five New Year’s Resolution Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

The holiday season is a time to let go of the negativity we may have encountered in the past year and keep our heads held high into the next. As this decade wraps up, we have an opportunity to reflect on the experiences we have had, both good and bad. A great way to start 2020 is by creating a list of resolutions geared toward personal improvement. Here are five tips on how to approach your New Year’s resolutions:

Be realistic

When formulating resolutions, make a few specific and attainable ones you can focus on. If you have a long list of resolutions, you may have trouble sticking with them. It is important to be realistic if you intend on accomplishing your goals. If you are planning to cut a repetitive habit out of your life, going cold turkey could prove difficult. Give yourself time to adapt and incorporate positive habits into your everyday routine. 

Dig a little deeper

Many people have a similar New Year’s resolution. It usually involves trying to get fit by exercising more often or eliminating unhealthy foods from your diet. There is nothing wrong with this resolution if you take healthy measures in the process of obtaining it. However, I challenge you to think up resolutions centered around something other than physical appearance. Take time to reflect on what went right and what went wrong during 2019. In what areas can you improve in? Maybe look to cultivate stronger relationships or overcome one of your fears. 

Take actual steps to attain your goals

A resolution will not automatically come true just because you write it down. You must map out steps to reach your goals. Even baby steps can lead you on the right path. For example, if you want to limit time spent on social media, then set a screen time limit on certain apps such as Instagram or Twitter. If you want to save money, decide on a specific amount to set aside every month or payday. 

Track your progress

Tracking your progress will remind you of how far you have come since the beginning of the year and motivate you to keep going. It can assist in keeping you on schedule as well. Even if you are not able to fully realize your goal by the end of the year, you can take pride in the progress you have made and know that your efforts did not go to waste. Tracking your progress can be done in a variety of ways, including taking pictures and keeping journals. If you want to learn a new language, apps such as Duolingo track your progress themselves. 

Make your resolutions aesthetically pleasing 

Chances are if you format your resolutions neatly, you will pay more attention! Make sure you will want to look at your resolutions. Instead of scribbling them down on a napkin or piece of scratch paper, whip out your stationery supplies and take time decorating. Pictures and collages can aid in visualizing your goals. Place the resolutions somewhere easily accessible. You could tape them by your mirror or store them on your phone.

Francesca Bermudez is a journalism major from Saratoga, CA. She is a fashion and film enthusiast who enjoys traveling and spending time with friends.