Wellness

Five Easy and Customizable Breakfasts You Can Make in Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It’s the fourth week of school, and most of the LMU student body is already over the food from the Lair. It’s simply just too much to ask of students to eat three meals a day there. But for most students, especially freshmen, cooking full-on meals in a dorm room isn’t an option. So, here are some easy but delicious breakfast items that can be made right in your room!

Avocado Toast

A classic Gen-Z breakfast food, avocado toast is infinitely customizable to fit your personal tastes!

What you need:

A toaster

Bread

Avocados

Most dorms supply a toaster in their lounges, making avocado toast easy and fast to prepare. Simply toast your bread, cut up your avocado(s) (which can be purchased in the C-Store if you can’t make it to the grocery store), and voila! If you’re looking to spice up your avocado toast and add extra flavor, try adding a layer of cream cheese, a splash of lime, Trader Joe’s “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning, or even your favorite sandwich meat for some protein. 

Peanut Butter Banana Toast

A tried-and-true flavor combination that’s sure to fill you up!

What you need: 

A toaster

Bread

Peanut butter

Banana slices

Eating bananas and peanut butter will keep you filled up longer throughout all of your morning classes. Just toast bread, spread some peanut butter on it, and top it with banana slices. This sweet breakfast tastes even better with a drizzle of honey on top, or a sprinkle of cinnamon. You could even try adding a granola topping for some crunch, or substitute almond butter if peanut butter isn’t your thing!

Yogurt Bowl

Buy the ingredients once and you’re set for a week!

What you need:

Yogurt

Your favorite berries

A crunchy element

The beauty of this breakfast is that you can eat it all week long, and never get bored! Just get a large carton of your favorite yogurt (or smaller cartons so you can have a different variety of flavors to choose from) to use as your base. Add a combination of your favorite fruits or berries, and don’t be afraid to think outside the box! Dried fruits, melons, or citruses make for unique flavors and textures. Finally, top it with something crunchy like granola, nuts, or seeds. For even more combinations try coconut flakes, chia seeds, honey, or a spoon full of nut butter.

Overnight Oats

Meal prep is your best friend when you have an 8 am!

What you need:

A sealable jar

Rolled Oats

Milk of your choice

Sweetener of your choice

Toppings of your choice

If you know you’re going to have a busy morning, try making your breakfast the night before. Simply pour your rolled oats into a jar, cover the oats with a milk base of your choice, and then add whatever toppings you fancy! Anything from fruit, yogurt, nut butters, chocolate chips, or chia seeds all make excellent choices. Then just close your jar, pop it in your mini-fridge, and by morning you’ll have a delicious breakfast that you can eat on the way to class!

Smoothies

Perfect for your get-up-and-go kind of morning!

What you’ll need:

Mini Blender (Such as the Magic Bullet)

Fruit or Vegetables of your choice

Liquid of your choice

While this does require an extra individual investment of a personal mini-blender, if on-the-go meals are your lifeline, it will be a worthy investment. With a Magic Bullet, you can make a perfect single-serving smoothie in what can instantly become a travel cup. Stock up on your favorite frozen fruits, mix with your liquid of choice (orange juice makes a delicious mixer) and blend up a refreshing, healthy breakfast to start your day!

Cate Chapman

Loyola '22

Hi, I'm Cate! I'm a freshman Theatre Arts major with an emphasis in technical production, from Seattle. I love bullet journaling, camping, and collaging!