Fashion, Freedom, and #FreeTheNipple?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

#FreeTheNipple. Is it still an important issue to care after one year? Yes. Recently, designers at Fashion Week have been sending models down the runway with nipple-baring clothes. Designers work to design clothes that flatter and showcase the female body, yet the media, society and public still freak out when it comes to something biological, like nipples. With our God-given bodies, are we meant to offend anyone with just a single flash of the nipple? No.

A young model recently wore a sheer nude chiffon dress with taupe panels and sequin silver cloud-like outlines on the Valentino runway. A week before the Valentino show, Kendall Jenner wore a periwinkle sheer striped top sans bra at Balmain. In Milan, Gigi Hadid walked in a low-cut slinky black slip dress with chain straps that accidentally revealed more than we bargained for at Versace. But did a single designer from these shows give two cents about whether or not all three women revealed a nipple or two? No. The designers don’t complain about nipples, and we need to follow suit.

As a consumer and fashion lover, I think that we are taking things too far by sensationalizing something as trivial as a nipple. I’ve had nipples since the day I was born. God gave us nipples since the creation of mankind and He has never complained about us needing to free our nipples. While we are conditioned to be in constant fear of our bodies, we must never be ashamed with what we are born with. There are many other issues that we need to fix in this broken world more than a single nipple.  

Born in Indonesia and raised in Singapore, I am to enlighten the world one step at a time. With an endless ambition to expand and enrich the lives of young minds, I aim to achieve this by sharing my passions for fashion, music and pop culture. Follow me on Instagram @michyvari and @Miss_E_Phresh on Twitter!