The Blonde Baker: Nutella-Stuffed Sugar Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

One of my weaknesses is Nutella. It is truly chocolate heaven, and can even be enjoyed right out of the jar. I wanted a cookie recipe that was full of it! I found this recipe on Pinterest, and I tweaked it a little bit using my own sugar cookie recipe for the cookie part. It’s simple—I just fill the sugar cookies with a generous amount of Nutella and bake. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 cup unsalted butter softened (2 sticks)

1 ½ cups granulated sugar

1 egg

2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour

½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

¼ cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies

¾ cup Nutella

Directions

Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in separate bowl. Slowly add dry ingredients to the butter mixture using an electric mixer.

Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill dough for 1 hour. While the dough chills, line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Fill a piping bag with Nutella and pipe 1-2 tsp of Nutella (about the size of a dime/nickel) and place it on the parchment paper. Try to keep the Nutella in a ball shape.

Place tray of Nutella in the freezer while cookie dough chills.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. To prepare the cookies, line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball. Flatten dough into a pancake and place frozen Nutella on top of the sugar cookie dough. Form another small cookie dough pancake and gently pinch the dough around the sides so that the cookie is sealed. Gently roll the cookie into a ball and roll in sugar. Repeat until all dough is used.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with a tall class of milk. :)