The Blonde Baker: Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

The recent hot and sunny weather in LA has me ready for summer. With that being said, I skipped ahead a bit with my baking this week. I stumbled upon this recipe when I was just learning how to bake as a young girl, and only watching Food Network. This recipe is from Giada De Laurentiis’ show Everyday Italian. I adapted the recipe just a little bit based on my preferences. I love vanilla so I added a little into the cookie. They are soft and cake-like, but light and full of lemony love. I like to use meyer lemons when making these just because they are a little sweeter and not as sour, but regular lemons work just fine. I make my glaze differently simply because I’m a vanilla enthusiast—but for those lemon lovers, simply nick the vanilla. I hope these cookies make you ready for summer. Happy baking! 

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 stick unsalted butter, softened

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese

2 tablespoons lemon juice (more if you like it super lemony)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 lemon, zested

Glaze:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

3 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

*Giada only adds lemon juice and zest to the glaze, but I think that makes the cookies a little bitter and too sour. If you want some color—just add some yellow sprinkles.

For the Cookies:

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine the butter and the sugar. Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon zest. Beat to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon the dough (about 2 tablespoons for each cookie) onto the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.

For the Glaze:

Combine the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Spoon about 1/2-teaspoon onto each cookie and use the back of the spoon to gently spread. Enjoy! :)