7 Wonderful Ways Studying Abroad Changed Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By Yasmine Sahid

To anyone who has gone abroad this semester you more than likely have been asked this question that was impossible to avoid: “How was it?” It’s pretty difficult to describe a four month long experience to someone who can never understand the possibly life changing and emotional journey that you faced. So, you have to settle on the option “It was Amazing”. Which it was, but you just wish so bad that your able to transfer your memories to that person so they can really get the idea that your trip was much more than just “amazing”. Coming back to America from Bonn, Germany I also realized a shift in my personality and livelihood that was hard to describe to others as well. I felt so mature, invincible, and wise. That high of being on top of the world continued and to this day hasn’t gone away. Studying abroad has definitely changed my life for the better and I’m sure that my experience is the same amongst the would abroad community. Returning back home helped me re-evaluate my life and the amount I’ve grown. So I decided to scrounge up the 7 wonderful changes that has happened to me after abroad.

1. I am more Woke!

Living in a totally different social environment for four months has definitely kept me on my toes. For the first few weeks my mind was constantly questioning my assimilation into the German culture: “Am I being loud?, Is this outfit too much? Oh my God is it rude to do that? Can people tell that I’m American?” The answer was mostly yes for all of those questions, but never before have I felt so challenged to be sharp about my surroundings and myself whether it was when I had to walk back home from the bus station at 1 in the morning or wearing too much makeup on a Sunday afternoon. When I came back to America I noticed that my senses were heightened. And not just on the terms of sight and smell, but I was able to read body language better, social situations, and just plain human behavior (it’s now easier for me to tell if a dude likes me or not). My life has slightly become more organized because grasping difficult challenges have become less challenging.

2. Getting Lost is No Longer Scary

Imagine getting lost in a foreign country where the signs are unreadable, it’s 3 in the morning, and you have no cellular service. Alright well that was a reality for me in basically four countries. But hey, I’m still here! The feeling of coming back to your hostel or Airbnb after being lost is actually pretty empowering. And good news, that empowerment stays. You feel that you can basically achieve anything and the truth is, you can. Being confused and lost has been a lot less stressful. Even when I get a little panic attack a memory from one hectic night in Bonn pops up and I say “Oh I’ve been through worse”. Then afterwards I get through it as if it was nothing. Yeah, for sure a good feeling.

3. Shopping is more of a conscious chore

Sooooo, raise your hand if you blew your bank account across seas? Yeah, coming back home was pretty painful knowing that half the stuff you spent was on tickets, souvenirs, and food. So much food. And although you regret half of the purchase you made, you now have a keener insight on how to spend your money. So, for a while you may be cutting back costs because you’re trying to redeem yourself from a whole semester of splurging. But coming home from the mall and realizing that you saved $40 by just saying no to needless clothes you can’t help but pat yourself on the back for developed yourself control.

4.I’m less Judgmental

For many, going abroad is the first time they have ever left the country. You realize that there actually is a world outside of America. Crazy right? And you sort of trip out on the fact that life is so much different in other countries. While abroad you meet new people and have new experiences.  Now that I’m back in the states, I’m no longer too quick to judge on opposing opinions and views. Because I learned that differences is what makes humans so interesting. And if I continue to judge people that I don’t understand, I’m no better of a person.

5. Fear becomes more irrelevant

I’ve been having this sudden drive of just doing the spontaneous without thinking too much about it. And for the most part, I’ve had no regrets. I learned that the best memories I had abroad were the most random. And I want to create more memories in the future by not holding myself back and going for my goals. Fear has always been a demon in my life and being independent across the world allowed me to slap that nasty demon outta my face because I honestly don’t have any time for that. No one does because life is too short to be scared all the time.

6.Confidence

There was a major boost in confidence when I came back home. I used to doubt my abilities of reaching my goals and I often held myself back. Towards the end of the trip I reflected on how I was accepted into a difficult program, I traveled to countries that I thought I would never see, I figured my way through the most stressful of situations and I learned a bit of German through it all. I can’t confine my abilities any longer because I already proved to myself and many others the accomplishments I can achieve when I just let go and trust myself.

7.Determination

I now know my capabilities. I’ve dealt with the dirtiest rocks and still at the end I was able to cut the most beautiful diamonds out of them. I am stronger than ever mentally and physically and I have no expectations of going back to my old ways. Suddenly obstacles are just challenges that I’m excited to face. There’s a fire in my belly that won’t go out any time soon and I give all my thanks to that wild adventure that I call Study Abroad.

I wrote this to not only share my insight on how I’ve developed after my semester, but to encourage those who are thinking about studying abroad. Main advice: Just do it. It will be the best experience you will have in your young adult life and the memories you will create will be the best.   

Her Campus LMU