This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Looking for an internship can be a lot of work. Here are some tips to make sure you are getting the most out of the resources you use.

Google is your BFF

Google is the best search engine! Use it! For example, if you want an internship in Journalism you can type in “Journalism Internship” and whatever city you would like to work in and bam! Google will make a little bar at the top of the search results where you can look through internships close to you. Google even has filters, so you can shift out the ones that you’re not interested in.

LinkedIn is also a Good Friend too!

Fall in love with LinkedIn. I know maintaining a LinkedIn is usually not the most fun, but you will see a payoff if you put in the time. On LinkedIn you can connect with so many professionals in your field, and you may see people interning at companies you want to intern for. This gives you the opportunity to connect with these people, and see what interning for that company is really like. Also LinkedIn has its own job search feature, so make sure you check that out too. There will also be some positions that you will not find on Google.

Search your Favorite Companies’ Website.

So..you want to work for HerCampus…Where do you look? Well, on most companies’ website at the bottom (or at the top for few) they have a nice little button titled “Careers”, and I advise you to click that button. Most companies do have some sort of internship program that you can apply for. However, be warned that a lot of big companies (like NBC) start looking for interns months before the internship program starts, so you may have to turn in you application in September or October if you want an internship in January. Make sure to get on those ASAP!

Don’t be Afraid to Reach out to Smaller Companies

Sometimes smaller companies may not have a career page, or you may not be able to find their internship postings. Don’t be afraid to reach out to see if they have any openings for interns. A lot of them do hire interns, so they’ll love to see you took initiative to reach out and ask.

Network

I know, I know. You hear this all the time, and it makes you want to vomit. Everyone tells you to network, and you just want to sit and cry. However, networking is easier than you think. Talking to professors that are in the field that you want to pursue can be networking, going to Career Fairs is networking, messaging people on Linkedin is networking,  speaking with a career coach at Careers and Professional Development on campus at LMU , or even attending an office party! There are so many ways to network; find the way that works best for you!

Don’t Give Up​

It will get tough. You’ll get tired and burned out if you can’t find an internship quickly, but please please don’t give up. A bunch of internships are posted every single day, and if you give up…you might miss out on the one for you.

I hope these tips (and gifs) help you a lot on you search for an internship!

Loyola Marymount University'19