Wellness > Health

5 Things to Know Before You Run a Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Be prepared for pain, sweat, and tears 

Obviously, running a marathon is not easy, otherwise anyone would do it. One of the most important things to keep in mind before starting to train for a marathon is to be prepared for pain, sweat, and tears. Whether you used to run or not, being sore is normal, injuries are normal, and pain is normal. It is also important to keep in mind that even with pain, it is possible to run through it. Again, it is not easy. Sweating 4-6 times a week is essential to keeping your body healthy. Keeping your body moving even if it’s not running will make your training the best it can be. Regarding tears, running a marathon is emotional. It is something that less than 1% of the population has done. Being able to complete a marathon is an accomplishment of a lifetime, and for most, an extremely emotional experience. It is also a huge honor.

Consistency is key 

Find a training schedule you can stick to! Being consistent is essential in your ability to complete not only training, but your actual race. 

An example of a schedule that you could be consistent with is: 

-Mondays: 2 miles easy shake out 

-Tuesdays: 3-5 miles

-Wednesdays: Weight training or yoga 

-Thursdays: Tempo runs, anywhere from 3-7 miles or tempo training 

-Fridays: Relax:) 

-Saturdays: Long run- increasing by 1-2 miles every week will be the best way to learn how to stay moving for hours at a time 

-Sundays: Recovery day! 

This is the best way to help your body get used to long mileage, but also do what’s best for you! Cycling is also a great cardio replacement if your knees, ankles, and hips can’t handle the run that day! 

ALWAYS stay hydrated 

Normally, you should be drinking half your bodyweight in ounces of water a day, but with marathon training, this number needs to be much higher. Not only should you be making sure to get daily amounts of water in you, but also focusing on replenishing your body’s electrolytes. As you run, your body loses salt and water when you sweat so you need to replace it regularly. Electrolytes such as Nuun or Gatorade will help prepare the mineral levels in your body to train, give you energy, and recover faster.

Anyone can do it  

You might be thinking… “No way I could ever run a marathon”. Well, you’re wrong. Anyone can run a marathon if they put the time and effort in. Training for your first marathon can take anywhere from 3 months to a year, or even more training. Anyone can do it if they’re willing to prosper through the pain, stay consistent, and stay motivated. Training can be a slow and painful process but in the end it will be so rewarding. 

Recover Recover Recover 

Be prepared to spend more time working on your recovery than your actual run. Before a workout you should make sure to stretch and warm your body up to minimize your chances of getting hurt on your run. After a workout it is ESSENTIAL to stretch. You cannot stretch enough! Other things you can do during your recovery is use tools such as a Hypervolt Massage Gun, rollers, compression boots, or just get a massage. You can also go places to help increase your recovery such as Cryotherapy which is when you stand in a -100 degree chamber for a few minutes to help essentially ice your body and rid inflammation. You can also do activities to help you recover such as yoga. Yoga is a great way to properly realign your body, stretch, keep your muscles and blood flow moving, and heart rate up. But most importantly, you should be allowing your body to get adequate sleep. This means 8 or more hours a night. 

All in all, training for a marathon is not easy, but truly anyone can do it! As long as you have the motivation, perseverance, and positive mindset, the mental aspect will be a breeze. Physically recovering, hydrating, fueling properly, and being consistent will make this one of the most rewarding processes you have ever been apart of.

Health and Human Science Major Bay Area, California