This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I’m an inspiration junkie. My desk and notebooks and journals are constantly filled with little bits of inspiration—quotations, big ideas, stories I hear from friends or in class. I hold on to these pieces of inspiration, and mostly I just file them away, or they gather dust on some sticky note or corner of class notes. But sometimes, in times of need, I go searching for those bits and pieces, and I feel the beautiful power of words and thoughtful insight fill me up again. While I fancy myself more of an old-fashioned pen and paper kind of a gal, I do respect the importance of electronically accessed information for our generation. One of the most wonderful outcomes of this cultural shift is the easy access we have to Ted Talks, a lecture series that offers a platform for speakers across disciplines, borders, and interests to inspire and inform the public. As a new form of education, Ted Talks are changing the way we hear about ideas and consume external opinions. If you don’t happen to have an inspiration-hoarding problem like I do, I’ve gathered up some of my favorite Ted Talks for some mid-term inspiration. Enjoy!

1) Sarah Kay’s “How Many Lives Can You Live?”

Sarah Kay is a spoken word poet and one of my all-time favorite speakers. In her Ted Talk, she discusses the difficulty of realizing that you can’t be everything and do everything. She focuses on her own discovery of her passion for story telling, and the challenge of capture. This talk is particularly inspiring in its relatability to our lives as college students trying to make sense of our own stories as they evolve. Kay’s poems and delivery are stirring, yet comforting.

2) Amy Cuddy’s “Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are” 

In her talk, Amy Cuddy introduces the idea of “power posing,” and the concept that changing your posture and physical body positioning can have very real effects on your life. Certain “power poses” (as seen in this post’s default photo) actually increase levels of testosterone ,which make you feel more confident and can lead to higher test scores, interview performance, etc.

3) Vincent Cochetel’s “I Was Held Hostage For 317 Days. Here’s What I Thought About…”

At the risk of seeming like another piece dedicated to trivializing the problems of college students, I’m adding this talk to the list because Cochetel’s eloquence and bravery can inspire change for anyone in any situation, regardless of how “small” a challenge may seem. In his talk, Cochetel, a humanitarian aid worker for the U.N., reflects on his time as a hostage, and what he learned about the strength of the human mind and the complexities of upholding humanity in today’s world affairs. While his story alone is an incredible one, it’s truly his own reflection on the events he endured that are moving.

We’re just barely past the halfway point in the semester, and this can be a time of incredible stress for college students. Especially in light of the recent increase in dialogue surrounding mental health on campus, now is an important time to check in with yourself; to make sure that you’re being kind to yourself and allowing as much room for growth as possible. My resolution for checking in with my own mental health is to challenge myself to wonder about the world around me—to keep my ears perked up, my pen poised, and my heart open.