Wellness

3 Self-Care Things You Should Be Doing (But Aren’t)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.
Wearing Sunscreen EVERY DAY!

In order to protect your skin and prevent getting skin cancer, it is important to wear sunscreen every day! Most people forget to put on sunscreen except when they are going to the beach, but the sun is still damaging your skin when you are just walking to class! Let’s keep our skin healthy and youthful by remembering to protect it!

Protecting Your Hearing

I’m sorry to be the one to break this to you, but your earbuds are not your friends. Blasting music (or Netflix!) on your earbuds can be very damaging to your hearing, especially in the long run. When your hair cells in your ears die, they do not regenerate. So, when listening to music, try and unplug your earbuds and let the sound waves enter your ear from afar. If you can’t unplug, just be cautious of how high you have the volume.

Protecting Your Eyesight

It is easy get lost staring at a screen. Whether you are being productive and working on a paper all night or if you are just binging Netflix, it is important to remember to take little breaks while using technology. As a rule of thumb, for every 20 minutes you are looking at a screen, you should try to take a 20-second break where you look away from your screen.

Her Campus LMU
Alison is a Senior Marketing major at Loyola Marymount University. She is also President of Her Campus at LMU and has been involved since her freshman year. She enjoys writing, running, going to the beach, and is always down for a cute brunch.