Cycling Into A Healthy Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LIM chapter.

Over the past few years, health and fitness have become a big deal; it’s about taking care of your body because it’s smart. I know a lot of people find it hard to eat healthy and go to the gym to workout, but there are small changes you can make that will benefit you. For instance, you don’t have to be on some crazy diet where you only eat kale and chicken, a lot of it is portion control. I believe you can eat somewhat healthy, but have your little cheats here and there if you have portion control and know your limits. Instead of eating cream cheese eat hummus. Instead of having peanut butter have natural almond butter. Instead of having granola bars have popcorn or almonds. Instead of potato chips have kale chips. It’s a lot easier than you think to make healthier choices.

But, it’s not just about eating healthy it’s also about exercising. Exercising is good for not only you body, but also your mind. A great way to get your body moving is by taking a spinning class. It’s my favorite work out. The first time I ever went spinning I think I was about 15 years old and my dad had heard about this spinning studio called Soul Cycle. One day him and I went and I really had no idea what it was going to be like. Before hand we had to get special spinning shoes that you clip into the bike and then when we got there we walked into a kind of dark room with mirrors and 60 bikes with motivational and fun sayings on the walls I was like, “wow this is so cool.” Then the class started and I just loved how motivated the teacher was and everyone else that was taking the class too! It made me want to work even harder in the class because everyone was pushing each other throughout the work out. I loved that they played such good music and that you don’t have your phone so you are just focusing on yourself for the entire work out. After that first ride I was hooked, from that point on I have fell in love with spinning and will go all the time. You sweat so much and burn so many calories all at once, I couldn’t ask for a better workout.

Living in New York you can walk almost everywhere and that’s great too. Walking is great because it gets your heart rate up. Working out is great for your mind and it’s a known fact that it gets your endorphins up.

Like I said earlier, it’s ok to have cheat days. Let yourself go out once in a while eat whatever you want, the next day just get back on track and make sure you workout that day or workout that day before you go out. So don’t feel guilty, make it a point to not eat as much the next day and go to a spin class or take a walk, or just do some kind of exercise. It is not as hard as you think, believe me. You just have to take it day by day, and think about what you put in your mouth and keep your body moving. 

South Florida born, New York City living and loving it. I study fashion at LIM College I love fashion, fitness, healthy living, and my family and friends.
I am a third year student at LIM College studying Marketing with a concentration in cosmetics. I currently intern for ELLE Magazine and I love taking aesthetically pleasing pictures for my instagram! Follow me here: @niicoleheaney