Life > Experiences

The Do’s and Don’ts of a Uni of Leeds Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Disclaimer: As a third year I feel pretty confident that I can give some decent advice. However, if this advice does not work out for you, please pretend I never wrote this article!

Don’t…

Whatever you do, do not go Pryzm or Space. I repeat, do not go Pryzm or Space. Now I cannot deny that I have in fact been to Pryzm a couple times… and had fun once. However, since then, it has only gone downhill. It is full of 17 and freshly turned 18-year-olds, which when at uni, you don’t want to be mixing with. As for Space, a place I have never actually been, it has similar reviews, and people have mentioned feeling unsafe there.

Do…

Despite those above, any other club in Leeds is pretty good. If you know me, you know my absolute favourite recommendation is ‘Bobby’s’, which is at Warehouse every Monday. Another popular night out is Walkabout Wednesdays as it is extremely cheap, but you must be prepared to queue for about an hour. I promise it is worth it though. If you have recently moved to Hyde Park, I highly recommend going to Royal Park Pub on a Friday for karaoke. 

Don’t…

If you’re a first year living with flatmates, please don’t shy away in your room! Your flatmates want to meet you and be friends with you. You’re going to be living with your flatmates for a whole year, so it is important that you feel comfortable with them. 

Do…

To avoid becoming this type of flatmate, you should try and sit in the kitchen as much as possible. Then you are bound to talk to all your flatmates and get to know them better. Sitting in the kitchen and doing uni work together is always a good idea; you slowly become comfortable in each other’s company. Try making tea around a similar time to them, as that’s when you can all sit and chat and start relaxing after a day on campus.

Don’t…

Again, if you’re in your first year do not stress about the workload. It is going to feel pretty intense at first, but lecturers are not on your back about it in most cases. This year does not count towards your final grade. A good grade will improve your confidence but don’t put pressure on it.

Do…

Instead, you should just focus on enjoying first year. Make the most because in second and third year it only gets harder.

You’ve got this! It can be daunting moving away, but you will grow so much as a person. Enjoy freshers!

Written by: Chloe Hill

Edited by: Anna Duffell

Hi! I'm a Communication and Media student at the University of Leeds. I love to chat about music, fashion and popular culture!