alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Student Guide To Waste Reduction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Shockingly, one third of all food produced is wasted. The UK currently produces 10.2 million tonnes of food waste a year, according to the charity WRAP, with the average UK household producing £800 worth of food waste each year.

University life is busy, and when you’re trying to balance lectures, nights out and cooking, living sustainably can be difficult. However thanks to technology, reducing food waste is easier than ever! 

Here is our round up of the best apps to help you cut down on food waste, even with a student lifestyle and budget…

Olio

Olio aims to reduce food waste by encouraging neighbours to share leftover food. The app is easy to use, you just upload a photo and description of the food, which other Olio users can then request and arrange to pick up! By sharing surplus food, less is thrown away unnecessarily. Not only does this solve the food waste problem, but it can be a great way to meet new people.

Karma

Karma advertises unsold food from restaurants, cafes and supermarkets which is at risk of being wasted. Karma users can buy and pick up the food for a discounted price. Half price food from your favourite high-street chains and cutting down on food waste? It’s a win-win!

Too Good To Go

Similar to Karma, Too Good To Go is a platform for restaurants to sell all the perfectly edible food they need to discard at the end of the day, at a reduced price. Too Good To Go even offer a ‘Magic Bag’, so you can choose a restaurant but the food you pick up is a surprise!

Alongside these handy apps, there are some simple habits you can integrate into everyday life to significantly reduce food waste and save money. Meal planning before you buy groceries ensures you buy only the exact ingredients you need, so you waste less and can avoid opening the cupboard to find your bread has gone mouldy again (the struggle is real)! Also, tupperware is your friend – always save leftovers for a future meal, saving time and reducing waste. Even small personal changes can lead to a more sustainable, zero-waste society for everybody. 

Words by Amy Bethell.

I am a Bsc Psychology graduate and MA Advertising and Marketing student at University of Leeds.
Lover of all things food, books, music, politics and theatre, and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus at the University of Leeds. You can see more of my work at http://www.morganhrtley.wordpress.com and http://www.indiependent.co.uk/?s=Morgan+Hartley