absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Student-Friendly Sticky Bonfire Muffins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Being a lover of cakes, adoring everything about this time of year, and being a student is proving rather difficult recently. Whenever I can afford to celebrate and/or make nice food, I don’t have time. When I have time, I can never afford to. If you are feeling similar stress, do not panic. I got you. With this delicious Sticky Bonfire Muffin recipe, not only will you be feeling super festive, but you can enjoy baking that is easy on the pocket and takes nearly no time at all. (Thank you cake mix!)

Baking these would be a lovely activity to do with your flat mates, or, if you prefer baking alone, you could invite everyone into the front room for a film and share them, whilst feeling super smug about your Great British Bake Off style skills…

Here is my attempt. Next time, I definitely need more food colouring! Nonetheless, the yellow and pink flames tasted delicious, and that’s what’s important.

Ingredients:

• One packet of Wright’s ginger cake mix.
  • 150g of orange marmalade.
  • 100g of dates.
  • 1 cored, peeled and sliced eating apple.
  • Muffin cases.
  • 150g of butter.
  • 280g of icing sugar.
  • 2 tablespoons of milk.
  • Piping equipment. (Your choice.)
  • Red food colouring.
  • Orange food colouring.
  • One packet of Cadbury Flakes.
  • Orange Quality Street Matchmakers.

Method:

1. Following the instructions on the Wright’s ginger cake mix packet, make your cake mix.

2. Add in your dates, apple and marmalade before giving it a good mix. (Try to make sure that they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture!)

3. Put your mix into muffin cases.

4. Bake your muffins in the oven for thirty minutes at 175°C. (Or 160°C for fan assisted oven.)

5. Whilst your muffins are baking, mix together your butter, icing sugar and milk. This will be your buttercream for on top.

6. Separate the buttercream into two bowls, and add red food colouring to one, and orange food colouring to the other. Mix well so that the icing is all one colour. You might need to add more colouring than you expect. (As you can tell from my picture, my flames went pink…)

7. Ensure that your icing is ready in whatever icing equipment you have decided to use.

8. When the muffins are baked and cool, pipe red and orange flames on top of them with your buttercream.

9. Complete the bonfire that you have made with orange Quality Street Matchmakers and chopped up Flakes.

10. Make yourself a brew and enjoy!

Lover of all things food, books, music, politics and theatre, and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus at the University of Leeds. You can see more of my work at http://www.morganhrtley.wordpress.com and http://www.indiependent.co.uk/?s=Morgan+Hartley
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19