Profile: Emily Potts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This week Her Campus Leeds talks to their very own Emily Potts, to find out how she’s finding Her Campus life along with running two radio shows for LSR.

Hey Emily, how did you first get involved with Her Campus and LSR?

Hi there! I first got involved with Her Campus and LSR in last year. It was my first year and we had to go to these welcome talks in the first week. Both Her Campus and LSR did a presentation on who they were and how to get involved. I thought both societies were perfect for me as I study Broadcast Journalism so they both fitted nicely with my course. I am so glad that I joined both of them as obviously LSR is massive, however I liked how niche Her Campus was so I thought it would be easier to make new friends that weren’t on my course or living in my halls.

How do you balance the two societies along with your degree?

It’s actually quite easy which may seem hard to believe! But I think I manage my time well enough to be able to handle it. I am a bit of a freak and like making ‘to do’ lists so I always know what I need to do during that week or day. Sometimes I need the odd reminder on my phone though!

You have two radio shows, tell us about them and what excites you most about each?

So the two radio shows that I am part of are ‘The Beat’ on a Tuesday at 5pm and ‘The Student Cookbook’ on a Saturday at 1pm. On The Beat we talked about societies and opportunities in the union but we also talk about what is happening around Leeds as well, for example the Christmas Markets. I actually produce this show so I make sure it is running smoothly and also decide what we speak about so it is quite exciting to be able to have control on the whole thing, but of course I make sure the presenters are cool with what we say on air! The second show, Student Cookbook is basically food heaven! I am a feature presenter and we all take turns to do our own feature, we have had so many good ones and the best ones are when we bring in baked goodies to try on air! I always feel sorry for the listeners as this point as we are stuffing our faces and the producer always tells us to stop munching down the mics!

What are the most challenging things you’ve come across so far on either LSR or Her Campus?

The most challenging thing I have come across at LSR is being a producer as you have to make sure your team is happy and know what they are doing. It is also hard getting people to stop talking when they go on a tangent as we are obviously on a time limit! The most challenging thing for Her Campus, as I am Social Media Director I have a social media team, but because we have to post everyday sometimes people forget and I sometimes forget to check so that’s why we are finding it hard to meet the requirements. BUT hopefully we have met them this week! Is there anything exciting coming up in your shows that will sway people to tune in? Well first of all, people should tune in every week to listen to me! Haha. We plan them weekly so at the moment I am debating ideas, but if ANYONE wants to come and talk on the Tuesday show, message me! We try to have guests on every week as it makes it more exciting for the listener to have different voices on air.

And is LSR as a whole up to anything in the coming weeks that we should know about?

Yes they are! Basically this Tuesday, LSR, LSTV and The Gryphon are hosting an event called Leeds Creative where a bunch of speakers are coming in to do presentations concerning the arts, theatres, musical education and culinary innovation. It also will have a buffet from Real Junk Food Project and music by LSR DJs. The event is completely free and is from 12pm till 7pm in the Union, so check it out!

Obviously both societies are media based, are these societies helping to shape your ideas of what you want to do in the future, if so how?

I enjoy being involved in both societies massively but at the moment I am still open to ideas! However next year I am hoping to do a Year in Industry so being involved has definitely helped me shape my CV but it is also something I love doing too. I am so pleased that I have had the opportunities I have had in these societies as I do think they will help me in the future 

All images are taken from Emily’s personal Facebook page: 

https://www.facebook.com/emilyvpotts?fref=ts