Life > Experiences

MUSIC TO MIRROR THE WEATHER: 15 songs that encapsulate the winter season!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Winter. The nights get longer, the days get shorter, and the weather gets colder! Having a comforting playlist to get you through these gloomy months is honestly essential, especially with exam season approaching. Here are 15 songs to help you romanticise and flourish this season, instead of being knocked down by the snowballs that winter throws at you!

1. ROSYLN BY BON IVER AND ST VINCENT – One for the Twilight Girls! Honestly the most calming song, it literally feels like wrapping a blanket around you. Perfect for an early morning walk to campus in the snow or a song to accompany your bath at the end of the day.
  1. IN THE MORNING BY THE CORAL – Optimism at its finest! As implied by the song title, this is a great song to start your winter morning off the right way. Upbeat, simplistic and motivating – a true homage to the beauty of the morning time. 
  1. BLACK TREACLE BY ARCTIC MONKEYS– Now it’s getting dark… One of the most underrated AM songs that will forever remind me of winter! Lyrically and instrumentally reminiscent of the night and a great song to listen to on your walk or drive back home, after a long day.
  1. CINAMMON GIRL BY LANA DEL REY – Atmospheric and wintery in every way possible! Any Lana song is a must-listen for wintertime.
  1. HIGH AND DRY BY RADIOHEAD – One that hits you in your feels. An emotional high and one of my favourite sad songs for the season.
  1. ALBATROSS BY FLEETWOOD MAC – One of the most beautiful and calming instrumentals and guitar solos ever. The song serves a similar purpose as Rosyln – romantic, comforting and soothing.
  1. THE MORNING BY THE WEEKEND – The money is the motive… The most motivating song for getting up in the morning. Whether you’re going to work, campus, or wherever it may be in the bitter winter.
  1. 2009 BY MAC MILLER – A nostalgic winter tune reminiscent of the melancholic changing of the seasons. A song about just getting by.
  1. WELCOME HOME BY RADICAL FACE – Another massively comforting song that embodies the togetherness of Christmas time and returning home!
  1.  EVENTUALLY BY TAME IMPALA – If there’s one song that encapsulates the final push to the end of this year it’s this one. Eventually… we made it!
  1.  MIDNIGHT CITY BY M83 – One of the most iconic instrumentals ever that always has me feeling like the main character! Reflective of a late night out in wintertime.
  1.  THERE SHE GOES BY THE LA’S – Gilmore Girls in a song. Listening to this song has me feeling like I’m in my own teen indie movie or show. 
  1.  SPARKS BY COLDPLAY – One of the most romantic songs on this list, a classic for a cosy and Christmassy night in. 
  1.  ELAVATOR HUM BY DECLAN MCKENNA – A new one! Ever since this song came out, I’ve had it on repeat for my walks to and from campus. For me, the song has a sort of liberating and wholesome quality to it.
  1.  WE ARE THE PEOPLE BY EMPIRE OF THE SUN – The most catchy and upbeat chorus that I promise will be in your head all day long. Psychedelic and magical, just like winter itself.

ARTICLE BY HANNAH KELLY

EDITED BY BECKY MILLER 

Hello, I'm Hannah and I study English Literature and Classical Literature at the University of Leeds! I'm 20 years old and in my third year and I love music, movies, writing and all things literature.