Leeds’ Greatest Locations: Food & Coffee Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

One of my favourite things about my first year at university has been exploring Leeds, specifically exploring Leeds’s many coffee shops and cafes. Back in Manchester, my dad and I loved skipping into our new-found brunch spots (Teacup Kitchen, I miss you!) and happily chatting away for hours, and so I think that my love of those moments has meant that I am now subconsciously on the hunt for the perfect place for us when he comes to visit me. Here at university, I’ve found that cafés and little restaurants are the perfect place for putting those finishing touches to essays, or (in my case) procrastinating, as well as meeting up with friends and family. I’ve been lucky enough to try a good majority of what Leeds has to offer in terms of this, so I have decided to write them all down as a collective for you to enjoy, too!

The Bowery (LS6)

(Photo)

This is my Morgan-you-have-to-get-your-life-together spot. Oh, there have been many a tear shed when that word count seemed a million miles away in here. However, the gorgeous interior and comfy seating makes moments like those much more bearable, and the homemade cakes are nothing short of to die for. If you live in or around Headingley, The Bowery is a must!

LS6 (LS6)

(Photo)

I have actually already taken my lovely dad here for brunch, and we’re only three months in to my first semester at university- that is how great it is here! I can strongly recommend the vegetarian breakfast, and I’ve also heard good reviews about their halloumi wrap. Their staff are lovely and friendly, and would you look at that dreamy wallpaper? LS6 is perfect for students living in Hyde Park or Headingley, as it is on the walk back from the university. If you’re not into polite brunch and tea, they also have a bar here and are often really busy on their quiz and jazz nights.

Oranaise Café (LS6)

(Photo)

Although this probably isn’t a spot for doing uni work, this little quirky corner by Woodhouse Moor has been my savior on those nights when you just can’t be bothered cooking. Cheap, unique and delicious food amongst cooky décor with your friends… How can you say no?

Pickard’s Tea Room (LS2)

(Photo)

Pickard’s is perfect for when you fancy treating yourself for lunch at uni. Being a tea room, their range of tea is pretty mind-blowing, and their baguettes and sandwiches are as dreamy as their cake. Yum. As I said before, being a procrastinator, Pickard’s is a very ‘me’ spot, as I can say “Yes, I’ve been in uni being productive all day!”, when really I’ve been to an hour’s lecture, played on my laptop for a bit, and spent three hours drinking vanilla black tea and eating a cheese ploughman.

The Dry Dock (LS2)

(Photo)

If you reach The Dry Dock after a crazy, fancy-dress-filled evening in Headingley… Congratulations! You’ve reached the final stop on the Otley Run. I see here as more of an after-uni-chill-out spot, with plenty of pints, pub grub and naval décor. It’s a lovely few hours whenever you wind up here, that’s for sure.

The Everyman Cinema (LS1)

(Photo)

My auntie once told me, “After you’ve visited the Everyman cinema in Leeds, you’ll never want to sit in any other peasant cinema again”, and boy, was she correct. Although it’s an expensive trip, the Everyman is such a lovely few hours out. There’re comfy sofas, cushions, wine at the push of a button, and hot food to order, so really, the price is kind of worth it. I’m just desperately trying to not make coming here a weekly occurrence… A must-do when you are in Leeds!

The Old Red Bus Station (LS2)

(Photo)

I stepped in here a few weeks ago, and instantly felt about ten times cooler than I actually am. Filled with vegan junk food, great beer, and live performances from singer/songwriters and poets, The Old Red Bus Station is probably one of my favourite spots that I’ve discovered during my first few months here in Leeds. You’d probably easily walk past it if you didn’t know that it was there, which is the sad thing. So here I am, singing it from the rooftops… Give these guys a visit!

Bundobust (LS1)

(Photo)

On my open day at University of Leeds, Bundobust is the restaurant that my dad and my uncle brought me to afterwards, so it definitely has a special place in my heart now. I know I’ve said it for nearly every food place on this list (that’s just because I love food), but the food here is beyond amazing. Even some of the things I looked at and thought I wouldn’t like, I loved here. A definite win for any vegetarian, Indian street food lover. Also- their craft lagers… YES.

Laynes Espresso (LS1)

(Photo)

Laynes is situated right in front of Leeds train station, so now I associate every coffee here with visiting to or from home, which is really lovely. Their food menu is heavily vegetarian and vegan focused, which is always a winner with me! The only downside to here is how popular it is. It’s one of my favourite places to do uni work in but it is always ridiculously busy. Still, it will always be one of my most loved coffee shops and will always be pretty hard to top.

Lover of all things food, books, music, politics and theatre, and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus at the University of Leeds. You can see more of my work at http://www.morganhrtley.wordpress.com and http://www.indiependent.co.uk/?s=Morgan+Hartley
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19