Culture > News

The Kardashian-Jenners- Role Models During a Pandemic?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

For many years, the Kardashian-Jenner clan have been on our screens and in our lives, becoming one of the most famous families on the planet. Now, as the world struggles on through the coronavirus pandemic, it calls to credited people like them to be role models and show their doting fans the sensible way to behave during a time of crisis. Unfortunately, there seems to be a severe absence of sensitivity from these popular figures when considering their collective attitude towards the pandemic.

Recently, the Kardashian-Jenners have shown the world that they believe they transcend the global coronavirus pandemic by partying hard and somewhat irresponsibly. Kim Kardashian allowed herself to take a group of friends to a private island in order to celebrate her 40th birthday. She has since claimed: ‘after two weeks of multiple health screenings and asking everyone to quarantine, I surprised my closest inner circle with a trip to a private island’ as justification. However, this statement is contradictory as it seems barely possible that the trip could have been a surprise after multiple health screenings, questioning whether health precautions were indeed taken.

Despite Kim’s worldwide popularity, her fans were unimpressed with the insensitive flaunting of pictures on social media showing off the luxury holiday, especially given the fact that people are forced to battle with mental health issues whilst isolating and many are physically fighting for their lives being seriously ill with coronavirus. One twitter user showed her disappointment saying: ‘people are dying, pandemic raging, economic uncertainties, families separated, political strife, but sure – splash your insane life all over the place’ (Krupali, twitter). Meanwhile, others called Kim out for being ‘insanely selfish’.

Despite Kim’s unfavourable actions, another member of the family decided to go against guidelines just days after. Kendall Jenner hosted an early birthday bash on the Harriet’s rooftop in West Hollywood on Halloween to celebrate her 25th birthday. Among the approximately 100 guests were other influential figures, including Paris Hilton, Justin and Hailey Bieber, and once again Kim Kardashian together with Kylie Jenner, who seemed to have become the most sensible member of the family after skipping Kim’s birthday trip, but immediately destroying that reputation by partaking in Kendall’s celebrations. Consequently, Kim failed to resurrect herself after the social media backlash about her holiday and both her and Kylie have subjected themselves to it again by posting about the party. Ironically, this action ignored the flyers at the party banning any social media coverage of the event, showing a blatant attempt at masking the party by Kendall; almost an admission of guilt.

With the majority of the world continually watching this family’s every move, it is unacceptable for the ignorance of COVID-19 guidelines to be advertised as acceptable, with Kendall’s party having no social distancing, a huge crowd and no wearing of masks and Kim’s trip glazing over the global guidance to avoid travelling between countries. If we look at this closer, it is apparent the Kardashian-Jenners have made a mockery of many guidelines. The CDC (Centres for Disease Control and Prevention) recommends wearing masks in all public settings, states that social distancing should always be maintained at 6 feet apart and gives this warning on their website: ‘COVID-19 can be spread by people who do not have symptoms and do not know they are infected’ – the public should continue to be vigilant no matter how well you feel’.

This family are supposedly role models due to their huge fame. However, members of the public now have multiple reasons to be encouraged to socialise with whoever, which will never help to reduce coronavirus cases and deaths. At the time of writing, cases were 9.96 million and deaths were over 238,000 in the USA. The Kardashian-Jenners appear to think of themselves as above the pandemic despite Khloe Kardashian testing positive for COVID-19 earlier in the year, documenting the severity of her symptoms. The Kardashian-Jenners seem to have neglected the fact that they behold a huge influence globally and have ignored the inevitable responsibility to demonstrate sensible behaviour that is broadcasted globally.

Words By: Ellie Back

Edited By: Charlotte Almey 

Ellie Back

Leeds '23

Currently in first year of uni studying English Literature at the University of Leeds, hoping to write interesting and honest articles. Hobbies include football, skiing, cooking, partying and playing with the dog!
English Literature graduate, Her Campus Leeds Editor in Chief 2020-2021 :)