Interrail Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Interrailing is such a fun way to spend your summer but sometimes it can be hard to know which route to take with so many options before you! Don’t worry because Her Campus has compiled some of the best tried and tested routes for you.

1.     Munich- Vienna- Budapest

When I visited these cities in 2014 I went from Munich to Budapest and back to Vienna (it seemed to make sense at the time!) but for a shorter trip, Vienna is the perfect pitstop between the two cities. Munich has a great atmosphere, with plenty of cheap steins for the evening. The city is also extremely walkable so you don’t need to waste money on public transport.

The train journey from Munich to Vienna is only 4 hours long and it’s a scenic route right across Austria. I have to admit, Vienna isn’t the most student friendly city. It’s well known for its museum culture but it’d cost a small fortune to visit all of them. However, the vast street food choice means you won’t need to spend much on food. I think I ate my weight in falafel and Viennese open-faced sandwiches. The nightlife does live up to the expensive reputation but finding a hostel with a bar means you don’t have to venture outside. I stayed at Wombats Hostel which was really centrally located and always had events running in the evening.

From Vienna, Budapest is only a 2 and a ½ hour train away and is far friendlier to the poor student. Make sure you visit the baths in the day and head to the ruin bars (Szimpla) for a memorable night out.

The Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna 

2.     Croatia

If you’re looking for beaches and culture, Croatia is a great option. Flights to Zadar are really well priced outside of main season (Think June or September) and from Zadar, it’s only a short bus to Plitvice Lakes. The Lakes are breathtaking and a must-see if you visit Croatia. Word of warning- don’t go on the hiking trails if you only have flip-flops. I suffered that mistake for the rest of my holiday! If you want to swim in the lakes Krka Lakes have a similar reputation and allow swimmers. (We did go for a quick dip in Plitvice but Krka is a better option if you don’t want an audience of alarmed tourists.)

From Plitvice, it’s 6 ½ hours to Hvar. Hvar is Croatia’s party island and there’s plenty of pitcher deals to make sure you have a good time. Try and take a boat out to the other islands if you want to visit a beach as they are far more picturesque than the ones on the mainland.

After Hvar, we took a long bus to Dubrovnik and stayed there a couple of nights. The wall is definitely worth paying for as you get an amazing panoramic view of the city. Although Dubrovnik is a beautiful city, it’s very touristy, so I wouldn’t recommend staying too long. Split is equally attractive and far less packed. Climb the Bell Tower just before sunset to get some good Insta photos. Flights from Split aren’t expensive on Easyjet so it’s the perfect place to finish a Croatian holiday.

Plitvice Lakes

3. Spain

Fly to Barcelona for the cheapest flight option. Personally, Barcelona isn’t my favourite Spanish city, but there is a lot to see there. Parc Guell is a really peaceful place to relax outside of the bustle of the main city and see the world-famous Gaudi sculptures. Spend an afternoon wandering around the Gothic Quarter or rent a bike to explore the city. Bed and Bike hostel has cheap rooms and bike rental.

I went to San Sebastian after Barcelona and although the train takes 5 ½ hours, it’s worth the journey. The Basque region of Spain is often forgotten in favour of the central cities but it has lots to offer. Weather in San Sebastian isn’t always the typical Spanish burning heat but the beaches are gorgeous (as are the surfers!) San Sebastian is a surfing city so it’s the perfect place to try out a lesson or get a frozen yoghurt and watch. There’s also a really buzzing bar culture and a free Jazz Festival on the beach in July so there’s plenty to occupy you in the evening.

If you want to extend this trip, head down to Madrid and then onto Seville and Granada.

Jazz Festival in San Sebastian 

4.     Slovenia- Italy

The capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana, is like a postcard image. Bars line the riverside, selling great pizza and cheap cocktails and the locals enjoy a laidback lifestyle. Ljubljana isn’t the destination for you if you’re looking for a party but it has a very relaxed vibe. Take a daytrip to Lake Bled and rent a boat if you want more adventure.  

From Ljubljana, Italy is only a short train ride away. Venice is one of Italy’s most famous destinations but if you’re looking for something different, Verona is a beautiful place to stop for a couple of nights. Juliet’s balcony is touristy but worth a visit just to get a quick picture. After Verona, Bologna is a brilliant place to unwind. Bolognaise was born in Bologna and it is certainly the unsung foodie capital of Italy. I fell in love with Grand Buffet there. You pay 6 euros for a cocktail and an all you can eat buffet. Afterwards, get a gelato and relax in the square, where all the students go in the evening. Bologna is also only a short train away from Rimini which has a large coastline if you want to add a beach onto the trip.

Lake Bled

Tip- If you’re stuck planning an itinerary Rome2Rio can work out distances between any city and provide examples of transport you can take between them.

Images- Author’s own and courtesy of Dani Patterson